Goodman Theatre Producer
Join the dynamic team of arts professionals at the Goodman Theatre as a Producer. Chicago’s theater since 1925, Goodman Theatre is a not-for-profit arts and community organization in the heart of the Loop, distinguished by the excellence and scope of its artistic programming and community engagement. The theater’s artistic priorities include new play development (more than 150 world or American premieres), large scale musical theater works and reimagined classics. As a cultural and community organization, Goodman Theatre is committed to using the art of theater for a better Chicago. Using the tools of the theatrical profession, the Goodman’s Education and Engagement programs aim to develop generations of citizens who understand the cultures and stories of diverse voices.
We at Goodman Theatre are storytellers who believe that a diversity of people, ideas and cultures in our organization enriches both the art on stage and our civic engagement. In our workplace, we strive to reflect the communities we serve, and make space in which each individual is empowered to bring their full, authentic self to work. The Goodman values equity, diversity and inclusion and is committed to approaching our work through the practice of anti-racism. The inclusion of difference(s) such as ability, age, background, beliefs, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, race, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status and all other identities represented across staff, board, artists and audiences help make us better equipped to live these values—on stage and off. Learn more at www.GoodmanTheatre.org/Accountability.
Overview of Position
The Producer is a member of Goodman Theatre’s artistic producing team and works closely with the Artistic Director and Managing Producer to engage with artists, support season programming, and shepherd the artistic process for productions, programs and special events.
Job Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
● Working with Goodman Theatre’s Producing and Production Staff to oversee and support all productions while maintaining high artistic standards.
● Serve as the artistic point person for each production; engaging and supporting each director in order to understand their vision and guide the institution’s resources to fulfill that vision.
● Attending production milestones including, but not limited to: first read-throughs, technical rehearsals, previews, opening and closing performances.
● Collaborating with literary staff to produce new play readings and workshops as needed.
● Ongoing consultation with other departments to ensure production needs are being met.
● Conceiving of, planning, and executing ancillary events as needed around each production.
● Working with our Education and Community Engagement Department on special events and engagement efforts to maintain and grow our connection with the community.
● Working with our Marketing Department to support video/content efforts that support each production.
● Working with the Managing Producer to hire artistic staff on each production.
● Facilitating department meetings
This position requires evening and weekend hours.
Qualifications & Attributions:
Producing experience in the commercial, educational or non-profit theatre
Theatre directing experience
Strong leadership, management and organization skills
Exemplary interpersonal and communications skills
Experience with Microsoft Suite/Office 365, primarily Excel, Word and Outlook
Degrees in theatre or related fields welcome, or demonstrable on the job experience in theatre or related fields
Goodman Theatre offers a competitive salary in the $60,000-$70,000 range and a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, paid vacation, sick leave, and 401k.
Goodman Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. By dedicating itself to three guiding principles—quality, diversity and community— the Goodman Theatre seeks to be the premier cultural organization in Chicago, providing productions and programs that make an essential contribution to the quality of life in our city.
The Goodman is an inclusive and accessible employer. Successful candidates will have experience working with diverse groups of people and will demonstrate a deep commitment to advancing equity and inclusion at the Goodman Theatre.
Qualified individuals are invited to submit a cover letter and resume by clicking here and selecting the "Apply to this job" button at the bottom of the page. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this open position by listing the specific website or posting location. No phone calls, please.