Established contemporary art gallery in Chicago, IL seeks a part-time Registrar/Preparator for Summer 2021, with potential to shift into a full-time role in the Fall.
Ideal candidate will be extremely detail-oriented, highly organized, and a talented communicator, who thrives in a fast-paced environment.
Proven experience with domestic and international shipping, handling fine art, packing methods, and inventorying artworks is essential.
• Coordinate and track internal and external movement of artworks for the gallery using ArtLogic database
• Manage all logistics related to artworks for gallery projects, on- and off-site exhibitions and sales
• Liaise with clients and institutions for deliveries, installations and special projects
• Occasionally deliver or collect works of art by truck, locally
• Communicate with gallery staff to gather and deliver information for collection loan shipments, crating, packing, and deadlines.
• Assists Gallery Manager with planning for installation and de-installation logistics, and scheduling additional prep staff for gallery as needed
• Ensure packing, handling and installation standards and protocols are met
• Diagnose conservation and/or framing concerns as needed, and liaise with vendors
• Participate in art installation and de-installation by proper handling, lifting, moving, placing, crating, uncrating, and hanging works of art
• Prepare galleries for exhibition installations, including patching and painting gallery walls, locating, and moving gallery furnishings, and implementing designs for temporary exhibitions.
• Assist with preparation at art fairs when feasible.
• Conduct regular inventory audits and correlate findings in database
• Diagnose packing/storage/shelving protocol for all objects
• Conduct regular condition reports and diagnose conservation needs for artworks
• Manage all incoming/outgoing receipts and paperwork for all locations
• Bachelor’s degree preferred
• Minimum of two years’ registrar/preparator experience at a gallery, museum or related institution
• Proficiency with ArtLogic or other inventory tracking database, MS Office
• Must have valid Driver’s License and access to transportation for occasional local pickups/deliveries, and transporting supplies
• Ability to use hand and power tools and hardware along with good manual dexterity.
• Knowledge of art and art handling, including installation skills.
• Knowledge of crating, wrapping, and packing objects for shipment.
• Wall painting skills.
• Organizational skills.
• Must be able to lift minimum of 25 pounds
Please submit your interest in the position via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include an attachment of your CV and cover letter.