Gallery Manager/ Assistant to Directors
Volume Gallery is seeking a Part-Time Assistant/ Office Manager for its Chicago location.
Level: Entry Level with growth potential to full time
Education: 4-Year Degree
Position Type: Part Time Permanent
This is a part-time position that provides sales, administrative and clerical support to the Gallery Directors.
Successful candidate will have at least three years’ experience in related business (arts or creative industry) with a focus on administration, management and/or customer service; have excellent writing and research skills and be able to perform well in a fast-paced, open office environment. Candidate should be able to prioritize, multitask and anticipate needs for the job and be highly organized.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Assist the Directors during client meetings; draft correspondence; research artists, artworks, and exhibitions; coordinate email blasts and maintain contact lists
• Support Directors with Public Relations efforts and press outreach
• Assist in production of Social Media content with both interns and Directors
• Possess knowledge of Photoshop/InDesign for basic designs of online content & invitations
• Oversee and maintain gallery's website and online accounts
• Maintain web content for the gallery's website, including current and upcoming exhibitions, artist CVs, press articles, digital imagery, and coordinate with digital firms to ensure proper content management of websites
• Possess working knowledge of inventory management software to help Registrar with cataloging inventory and photo archiving
• Greet gallery visitors/clients and engage with public
Manage & assist organizing gallery openings, events, special projects and art fairs
• Work independently on special and ongoing projects. Act as a project manager for special projects and commissions, at the request of the Directors, which may include: planning and coordinating multiple commissions, disseminating information.
Other Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Schedule and organize calendar, travel and expenses
• Answer phones, take messages
• Office management: order supplies, oversee maintenance of gallery space
• Must have high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. Position continually requires demonstrated poise, tact, and diplomacy.
• Must be able to interact and communicate with individuals at all levels of the organization
• Must have knowledge of a variety of computer software applications in word processing, spreadsheets, database, and presentation software (MSWord, Excel, Photoshop)
• Work requires continual attention to detail in composing, typing, and proofing materials, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands
Previous gallery, luxury retail or office management experience
Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Photoshop
Position is part-time | Pay is commensurate with experience
Volume Gallery has a specific focus on American design, particularly emerging contemporary designers. Founded by design specialists Sam Vinz and Claire Warner, Volume Gallery releases editions, publications, and exhibits that showcase the work of American designers to regional, national, and international audiences. Volume Gallery asks critical questions of what it means to be an American designer in a culture that is rapidly becoming global in scale, while simultaneously examining the American experience. Volume Gallery is derived from a compulsion to provide a platform for emerging American designers to engage with an international audience.
1709 W Chicago Ave,
Chicago, IL 60622
11AM - 6PM
Visit www.wvVolumes.com for further information and schedule of upcoming events.