Who we are: [ salonlb. ] is a multidisciplinary exhibition space and forum designed to engage critically with the arts, supporting emerging and mid-career artists, with an emphasis on sculpture, mixed-media, and contemporary craft.
We are seeking a gallery assistant to provide general support to the Founder and Curator. This assistant will be participating in running the daily operations of the gallery. Gallery assistants should have an interest in the arts and enjoy working with their hands, problem-solving, and have attention to detail.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Daily administrative tasks – answering phones, writing emails, etc.
· Interface with visitors and possible clients on artwork sales.
· Oversee and maintain artwork databases including mailing lists, digital inventory, and artist information.
· Participate in the planning, installation, and de-installation of in-house shows and external exhibitions.
· Ensure communication is sent to artists about upcoming events, deadlines, and other information.
· Ensure payments to vendors, artists, etc. are submitted and processed by accounting in a timely manner.
· Open and/or close the gallery.
· Assist with events such as opening receptions, etc.
· Packing and shipping artwork, printing and placing art tags, moving items to and from storage; general organizing.
WORKING CONDITIONS/ PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
· Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and can function on a ladder.
· Must possess the ability to learn new software quickly.
· Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office programs.
· Must be outgoing, professional, and personable.
· Detail-oriented, organized, and poised with strong oral and written skills, good visual memory.
· Independent and self-directed.
· Interest and enjoyment in working in an art environment.
· Must be flexible and willing to work nights and weekends.
· Experience in merchandising, sales, retail, or customer service experience preferred.
· Social media and graphic design experience preferred.
· Experience in a complex arts organization/museum, preferably in exhibitions or other related office setting a plus.
· Familiarity with Shopify and Salesforce a plus.
· Access to a car is a plus but not required.