Furniture Finisher Assistant
Troscan operates from a 15500 square foot facility on Chicago’s West Side. Our made-to-order, limited production runs and attention to detail can only be achieved through close collaboration amongst a small cadre of like-minded individuals, Troscan maintains a reputation of producing thoughtfully designed and exceptionally executed products of enduring value.
A well-run shop rides on the full engagement and well-being of every team member. At Troscan, we strive to maintain workplace practices and culture that honor the talents of team members while ensuring their safety, and acknowledging their collective roles in the process.
Craftspeople work in the Troscan workshop individually and as a team to fabricate fine furniture that sold exclusively through showrooms. The Finishing Department Assistant will be responsible for finishing pieces that meets or exceeds our client’s high standards. Interested candidates should contact us and send a cover letter and resume for consideration.
Company: Troscan Design + Furnishings, 400 N Oakley, Chicago, IL 60612
Department: Finish Department
Position reports to: Finishing Department Lead/Production Coordinator
Compensation: $18 Hourly (+ benefits for full time status post probationary period, including Vacation plus personal/sick hours and Health Insurance)
Status: Full Time, non-exempt Or Part Time (min 18 hrs)
• Preparation of wood and metal surfaces for finishing including: stripping, washing, sanding, and staining.
• Mixing custom stains based on our documented formulas.
• Staining and finishing of fine furniture often with multiple components made of wood or metal.
• Setup, cleaning, and maintenance of gravity feed spray guns, air supply systems, booth, and prep areas daily.
• Following all safety procedures during all steps with all materials used, including safe handling and disposal of waste materials, utilization of provided PPE, etc.
• Inventory of finishing dept. supplies and submitting requests for supplies in a timely manner
• Assist lead finisher in tasks and communicate with production coordinator to keep on task and define priorities of items moving through fabrication.
• Keeping an organized, tidy and clean immediate work area while also contributing to general shop maintenance/cleanliness.
• Ongoing organization and optimization of finish department tools and supplies. Keep work area clean and organized. Constantly improve your work area for efficiency.
• Documenting and improving finish development processes.
• Maintain work order files in your department.
• Assist other departments when needed. Help receive and store materials/components delivered to other departments.
• Maintain a regular established in person schedule with on time attendance
• Bi-lingual, Spanish and English.
• Intermediate to advanced knowledge of the mixing, preparation, and application of many types of finishing products and techniques.
• Excellent communicator. Clear and concise, not afraid to propose a solution to a problem and a willingness to contribute.
• High attention to detail and strong organizational abilities.
• Good time management abilities; self-starter.
• Someone with a strong initiative and thoughtful work ethic.
• Adaptable attitude to respond to and take action with changing directives
• Diplomatic and professional demeanor, Able to take on a variety of tasks with a can-do attitude.
• Excellent comprehension abilities-- able to interpret detailed instructions. Ability to read work orders and finish formulas. Be able to perform mathematical calculations and measurements.
• Experience in finishing wood and/or metal preferably in a similar fabrication setting or department. We will train the right person with the right attitude.
• Proficiency with materials and finishing tools
• Must be able to lift/move 50 lbs
• Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
• Must have good health/strength, and stamina.
• Schedule requires regular hours and availability (Monday through Thursday, 7:30 AM to 5:00 PM, Fridays, 7:30 AM to 11:30 AM). Overtime rare and scheduled in advance.
Please send resume for consideration