Full-Time Custodian- Goodman Theatre
Job Title: Custodian
Reports to: Custodial Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt, Full-Time
Salary: $39,000 annually
Location: 170 N. Dearborn St., Chicago, IL
Join the dynamic team of arts professionals at the Goodman Theatre! Chicago’s theater since 1925, Goodman Theatre is a not-for-profit arts and community organization in the heart of the Loop, distinguished by the excellence and scope of its artistic programming and community engagement. The theater’s artistic priorities include new play development (more than 150 world or American premieres), large scale musical theater works and reimagined classics. As a cultural and community organization, Goodman Theatre is committed to using the art of theater for a better Chicago. Using the tools of the theatrical profession, the Goodman’s Education and Engagement programs aim to develop generations of citizens who understand the cultures and stories of diverse voices.
We at Goodman Theatre are storytellers who believe that a diversity of people, ideas and cultures in our organization enriches both the art on stage and our civic engagement. In our workplace, we strive to reflect the communities we serve, and make space in which each individual is empowered to bring their full, authentic self to work. The Goodman values equity, diversity and inclusion and is committed to approaching our work through the practice of anti-racism. The inclusion of difference(s) such as ability, age, background, beliefs, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, race, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status and all other identities represented across staff, board, artists and audiences help make us better equipped to live these values—on stage and off. Learn more at GoodmanTheatre.org/Accountability
The Part Time Custodian is responsible for all daily and periodic cleaning of the Goodman Theatre as well as assigned event setups. This individual interacts with diverse groups of employees and helps to support the Goodman’s artistic work. This is a unique opportunity to join a well-structured program and collaborate with a versatile facilities team in fulfilling the mission.
- Perform cleaning, sanitizing, and disinfecting activities as assigned
- Follow daily, weekly, and periodic cleaning schedules
- Collect and remove garbage and recycling from all areas of the building
- Ensure restrooms are properly supplied
- Sweep, dust, mop, scrub, or strip/apply new finish, and buff/burnish floors
- Vacuum and spot clean carpets
- Perform minor maintenance and repairs to custodian equipment
- Organize and maintain cleanliness of custodial closets
- Perform event setup, tear down, and cleaning as needed
- Perform snow and ice removal when necessary
- Previous custodial experience in a large, commercial space
- Ability to operate carpet cleaning, floor polishing, and snow removal equipment
- Physical ability to perform work assignments
- Capable of maneuvering 50 lbs. or more
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends
- Dependable, and works well with team members
- Good customer services skills
- Knowledge of proper use of cleaning products
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to read and interpret product and safety labels
- Ability to interpret and follow verbal and written instructions and diagrams
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Must be able to communicate effectively
- Previous experience in commercial cleaning and sanitizing practices preferred
- MS Office software program experience preferred
- Theatre or Live Entertainment Venue experience beneficial
- Experience with a wide range of custodial equipment preferred
- Model behavior and values consistent with Goodman’s Community Agreements and furthering Goodman’s IDEAA (inclusion, diversity, equity, anti-racism and access) goals.
Theatre offers a benefits package including health, dental, and 401K with this position.
Goodman Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. By dedicating itself to three guiding principles—quality, diversity and community— the Goodman Theatre seeks to be the premier cultural organization in Chicago, providing productions and programs that make an essential contribution to the quality of life in our city.
The Goodman is an inclusive and accessible employer. Successful candidates will have experience working with diverse groups of people and will demonstrate a deep commitment to advancing equity and inclusion at the Goodman Theatre.