Front of House Manager
Front of House Manager
The Front of House Manager is the lead house manager at Steppenwolf Theatre responsible for managing public performances and helps to train, supervise, and evaluate 20+ part time staff. As the lead part-time supervisor, the Front of House Manager will coordinate scheduling for all programming streams and special events. They will serve as the Audience Experience lead for all Main Stage productions. The position splits time between departmental administration (30%) and house management (70%).
Areas of Responsibility:
Main Stage Series Lead
- Oversees the lobbies and houses of the Downstairs Theatre and The Round Theatre
- Content advisory for staff and patrons
- Supervises PT-staff operations for Main Stage public performances
- Lead House Manager for the Main Stage
Part-Time Staff Supervision
- Works in collaboration with the Audience Experience Manager and Associate Director of Audience Experience to train and supervise 20+ part-time staff
- Projects staffing needs and helps with hiring plan
- Gathers availability for 20+ part-time staff
- Scheduling for all programming streams and special events
- Works with Associate Director of Audience Experience and Audience Experience Manager to project staffing needs for the season
- Cash box management
- End of night cash reconciliation
Lobby Signage/Print + Cut Jobs
- Manages lobby signage
- Manages and coordinates distribution of program stuffers
Successful candidates will have:
- a minimum of one year experience working as a house manager in a theatre
- experience navigating and de-escalating challenging customer service interactions
- experience managing a team of part time staff (scheduling, communications, check-ins)
- experience or interest in cultivating an equitable work environment, which includes use of gender inclusive language; support for individual gender expression, racial equity and inter-generational collaboration; accessibility for people with disabilities; and cultural sensitivity.
Salary: $37,500 with excellent benefit package for full time employees, including medical, dental, vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, vacation pay, paid sick time, personal days, Ventra transit benefit program, employee assistance program and 401(k) matching retirement program.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three references by following this link by 11/7.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS PLEASE
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Steppenwolf complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We strongly encourage applications from people of color and members of underrepresented groups.