Food and Beverage Director
The Food and Beverage Director is a key team player within Steppenwolf’s general management team. This full-time position, reporting directly to the Director of Operations, manages and leads Steppenwolf’s food and beverage operations across the institution. Partnering with the Director of Operations, the Food and Beverage Director helps to create strategies, partnerships and efficiencies that net approximately $250k a year from its operations.
Food and Beverage (F&B) Program
Currently, our F&B program consists of our lobby concessions program and Front Bar: Coffee and drinks. The theatre is currently undergoing an expansion project and will open a new bar and additional concession operation on campus upon the opening of the new theatre (Fall 2021).
Front Bar is a neighborhood hub with both café and bar service. We serve coffee and espresso by Passion House Coffee Roasters and food by The Goddess and Grocer, all available day and night. The bar program focuses on seasonal cocktails, beer and wine, with an emphasis on local and craft products.
Our lobby concessions program is an extension of Front Bar, but with beer and wine-focused menus - all focusing on providing quality snacks and beverages and efficient service to guests before and during performances.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The Food and Beverage Director will lead the daily operations of the restaurant and concessions program and supervises 2 full time employees and 25-30 part time staff. The ideal candidate will supervise and educate staff on best practices within the industry and will emphasize friendly, emotionally intelligent and efficient service. The Food & Beverage Director will be responsible for budget management, ROI strategy and analysis, creating staff schedules, managing purchases and inventory, ensuring adherence to food safety procedures, implementing excellent customer service, coordinating with other internal departments to streamline service, and serves as a knowledgeable source of information about trends and advances within the restaurant and bar industry.
Successful candidates will:
- have experience managing operations and a team larger than 15 people in a high-volume restaurant or bar setting.
- be skilled at using and analyzing data to make informed profit-related decisions.
- have experience building a cocktail, beer, and wine-focused beverage menu.
- have an exceptional problem-solving and customer service approach to all decisions and interactions and have demonstrated the consistent ability to effectively problem-solve in improvised situations.
- commit to an equitable work environment, including but not limited to use of gender inclusive language and support for individual gender expression, cultural sensitivity, racial equity and inter-generational collaboration and accessibility for audience members with disabilities.
- enjoy proactively and positively interacting with a variety of personalities in a busy, fast-paced environment.
- have in-depth experience with front and back-end operation of a restaurant or bar point of sale system.
- have keen attention to detail.
- communicate clearly and professionally.
- have food service experience and be ServSafe Manager and Illinois BASSET certified.
- have knowledge of or interest in Steppenwolf and the performing arts.
- possess excellent time-management skills.
- when needed, work late nights and weekends.
- be able to lift 40 pounds.
- Have demonstrated success in managing a team with various employment classifications and job functions.
- Candidates must be proactive, relationship-oriented, strategic, and creative.
- Steppenwolf gives preference to candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for equity, diversity and inclusion.
- They must understand the big picture but also have strong attention to detail.
- They should feel comfortable juggling multiple projects and must have excellent writing, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in the arts or a non-profit organization is a plus.
Salary range: $45,000 - $50,000 with excellent benefit package for full time employees, including medical, dental, vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, vacation pay, paid sick time, personal days, Ventra transit benefit program, employee assistance program and 401(k) matching retirement program.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three references by following this link by June 19, 2021.