Facilities Operations Supervisor
Job Title: Facilities Operations Supervisor
Reports to: Director of Production and Operations
Start Date: Negotiable
Join the dynamic team of arts professionals at the Goodman Theatre! Chicago’s theater since 1925, Goodman Theatre is a not-for-profit arts and community organization in the heart of the Loop, distinguished by the excellence and scope of its artistic programming and community engagement. The theater’s artistic priorities include new play development (more than 150 world or American premieres), large scale musical theater works and reimagined classics. As a cultural and community organization, Goodman Theatre is committed to using the art of theater for a better Chicago. Using the tools of the theatrical profession, the Goodman’s Education and Engagement programs aim to develop generations of citizens who understand the cultures and stories of diverse voices.
We at Goodman Theatre are storytellers who believe that a diversity of people, ideas and cultures in our organization enriches both the art on stage and our civic engagement. In our workplace, we strive to reflect the communities we serve, and make space in which each individual is empowered to bring their full, authentic self to work. The Goodman values equity, diversity and inclusion and is committed to approaching our work through the practice of anti-racism. The inclusion of difference(s) such as ability, age, background, beliefs, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, race, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status and all other identities represented across staff, board, artists and audiences help make us better equipped to live these values—on stage and off. Learn more at GoodmanTheatre.org/Accountability
OVERVIEW OF POSITION:
The Facilities Operations Supervisor is responsible for the proactive care and upkeep of all owned and leased facility assets, while coordinating daily support services in a cost-effective manner. This position ensures that productivity, efficiency and safety standards are met in support of the Theatre’s business operations and in the delivery of artistic programming. This key supervisory role is focused on the implementation of the building maintenance program, protecting and improving the value of the Theatre’s facilities assets, ensuring building systems continue to perform their intended function, and supporting the built environment for all occupants. This is a full time, salaried position with an exceptional benefits package. Qualified candidates must be willing to work a flexible schedule, including occasional night and weekend shifts for performance coverage.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Responsible for all facilities related issues
• Provides safe and comfortable built environment for artists, patrons, employees and visitors
• Oversees and coordinates planned and unplanned maintenance of major equipment and systems, including HVAC, BAS, ancillary systems, building envelope, carpentry, doors and gates, electrical/lighting systems, elevators, grounds, plumbing systems
• Leads the facilities operations team by guiding and prioritizing work activities, providing constructive feedback, clarifying duties, removing barriers to success, and collaborating on solutions
• Recommends training aimed at matching the capabilities of the team with the needs of the theatre
• Aligns daily tasks with the objectives set in short-term and long-range planning
• Oversees the scheduling process of the facilities and custodial department to ensure adequate coverage for operating hours
• Participates in the on call rotation for after-hours building emergencies
• Oversees the commercial cleaning, sanitizing, and disinfecting program
• Oversees and performs regular building rounds to proactively identify deficiencies/quality control
• Assist the Director with sourcing service providers that meet the needs of the theatre’s quality levels
• Oversees the work of service providers to ensure contract compliance, scope/workmanship is completed to satisfaction, and budget/schedule terms are met.
• Develops an inventory management system and maintains a critical parts inventory for business essential systems and components
• Communicates building related issues effectively with management and coworkers
• Provides weekly status updates and produces periodic written reports to the Director
• Interfaces regularly with the Computerized Maintenance Management System, delegates tasks to the facilities operations team, ensures timely completion of work orders, maintains comprehensive records of operating manuals and service histories, and updates the asset inventory database
• Contributes to the financial forecasting process and monitors expenditures in the operating budget
• Makes recommendations and develops cost estimates for future resource needs
• Serves as a key member of the project management team contributing to feasibility, scope development, request for proposal, coordination, supervision, and close out
• Works with the Director to measure, monitor, and implement sustainability initiatives
• Measures, evaluates, and make recommendations for improvement of quality control
• Ensures compliance status for regulated building systems
• Collaborates with the Safety Committee on implementing workplace safety procedures
• Other duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• A minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience in the supervision of commercial building maintenance, operations, and projects
• College coursework in a technical discipline, or equivalent work experience; industry certifications and licenses (SMT, SMA, BOC, CFC); OSHA safety training
• Knowledge and experience of best industry practices including: reliability centered maintenance, safety standards, energy management practices, and other cost-effective practices
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Growth mindset: committed to continuing education and participating in industry organization training
• Proven critical thinking, problem solving and organizational skills
• Ability to supervise, lead, motivate and mentor personnel
• Ability to foster and maintain good working relationships with key stakeholders
• MS Office, BAS and CMMS software technology experience required
• Theatre or Live Entertainment Venue experience preferred
• Capable of performing physical labor, maneuvering 60 lbs. or more, negotiating ladders, working from heights of up to 30 feet, and working from unusual angles to fix equipment
• Ability to read and interpret construction documents, general periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations
• Agreeable to a flexible/variable work schedule, including occasional evenings and weekends
• Agreeable to participate in on call rotation for building emergencies, except for approved paid time off
• Pass all pre-employment screening
• Collaborative, cooperative, and proven performer in customer service
Goodman Theatre offers a competitive salary in the $65,000-$75,000 range and a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, paid vacation, sick leave, and 401k.
Goodman Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. By dedicating itself to three guiding principles—quality, diversity and community— the Goodman Theatre seeks to be the premier cultural organization in Chicago, providing productions and programs that make an essential contribution to the quality of life in our city.
The Goodman is an inclusive and accessible employer. Successful candidates will have experience working with diverse groups of people and will demonstrate a deep commitment to advancing equity and inclusion at the Goodman Theatre.
Qualified individuals are invited to submit a cover letter and resume by clicking here and selecting the "Apply to this job" button at the bottom of the page. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this open position by listing the specific website or posting location. No phone calls, please.