Exhibitions Coordinator [Marwen]
Status: Part-Time (20 hours per week)
Reports to: Manager of Studio Programs
Marwen educates and inspires young people to nurture their growth and build their futures through art and community. Founded in 1987, the no-cost studio and pathway programs exist for young people in Chicago who want to explore visual arts and do not have access to arts programming due to financial and systemic barriers. Courses are facilitated by teaching artist teams. For more information, visit www.marwen.org.
Overview of the Position:
The Exhibitions Coordinator will play a pivotal role in the planning and execution of art exhibitions in Marwen’s gallery spaces, including preparation, curation, and installation. The Exhibitions Coordinator will work with various teams to curate and install youth exhibitions at Marwen as well as community exhibitions for fundraising and communications events. Additionally, the Coordinator will be responsible for leading and providing mentorship to young people participating in Marwen’s Lab Residency, a nine month open studio residency for 10th - 12th grade artists to develop their art practice. Candidates must be able to work onsite, including evenings and weekends during programming terms.
- Plan, coordinate, curate and install student exhibitions after each term
- Create and manage exhibition timelines and logistics, ensuring timely delivery
- Oversee design and layout of exhibitions, ensuring optimal display
- Install and dismantle artworks in adherence to safety and gallery standards
- Photograph / document student artwork in preparation for term exhibitions
- Coordinate student artwork pick up and distribution for each term
- Collaborate with young people, artists and internal teams to ensure successful exhibition planning and execution
- Stock and organize exhibition supplies and tools
Fundraising Event and Other Exhibitions
- Collaborate with young people and artists to curate and install the exhibition for Art Fair, Marwen’s Fall fundraising event
- Assess art submissions, select artworks and facilitate communications and collection of artwork
- Prep walls, curate and install art exhibition
- Coordinate seamless art-pickup post-event, ensuring artworks are ready for retrieval, properly packaged and labeled
- Support exhibition installation at off-site events
- Act as a Mentor for the Marwen Lab Residency
- Collaborate with Teaching artist teams to document classroom activities
- Provide programming term support as needed
- Provide gallery talks, tours, and field trips for visitors, student groups, and stakeholders as needed
The ideal candidate will have:
- 3-5 years experience planning/executing/installing permanent and temporary exhibitions
- Ability to lift a minimum of 30lbs. comfortably, confidence and ease working on ladders and proficiency in utilizing basic tools
- 2+ years experience working with high school youth and/or mentoring youth artists
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Proven experience in exhibition coordination, preferably in a gallery or museum setting,
- Knowledge of art handling, installation techniques
- Familiarity with art curation and contemporary art practices
- Familiarity with art-making and art materials
- An interest in studio art, art education and a desire to work with youth
- Understanding database systems and proficiency in Microsoft Office and the Adobe Creative Suite
The compensation for this position is $22 per hour.
Marwen is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and equity in the workplace. We strongly encourage those who reflect our communities to apply, including bilingual individuals, LGBTQI and/or people of color.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Exhibitions Coordinator.” The deadline for submissions is January 19, 2024.