Event Coordinator Assistant (Part-Time)
The Aurora Civic Center Authority (ACCA), an innovative organization located on Stolp Island in the Fox River in the heart of the richly diverse community of historic Aurora, Illinois (one hour from downtown Chicago), is seeking a part-time Event Coordinator Assistant. ACCA is the parent organization, which also includes a 501(c)3 arm under the name of Paramount Arts Centre, Inc. It operates three performance venues: the 6,000-person RiverEdge Park, the 1,843-seat landmark Paramount Theatre, and the 165-seat Copley Theatre. ACCA produces and presents over 300 performances each year, including star-studded touring productions and a self-produced Broadway Series of musicals for an annual audience of 350,000 patrons from over 250 communities. ACCA proudly operates the Paramount School of the Arts in the new John C. Dunham Aurora Arts Center, right next door to Paramount Theatre in downtown Aurora, and the company looks forward to producing a new, Bold Series of plays and musicals in the newly renovated Copley Theatre beginning in the 2022 season. Paramount Theatre also hosts free community events, $1 Classic Movie Mondays and its opulent interiors provide a spectacular backdrop for private functions such as wedding receptions or corporate galas. Across the street from Paramount Theatre are the gorgeous Meyer Ballrooms which play host to multiple wedding receptions and rental events throughout the year.
The Aurora Civic Center Authority is committed to being a defining catalyst for personal and community transformation by:
- making the performing arts accessible for every age and socioeconomic background;
- introducing the magic of live theater across generations to encourage expansive imaginations and broad views of people and the world,
- and contributing to the future stability and growth of Aurora's downtown
The highest purpose of any theater is to inspire its community toward a more perfect humanity. Such humanity can exist only when every member of the community is included and valued, empowered and heard. To express this truth, ACCA commits its leaders, volunteers, artists and staff to the active, continual and accountable pursuit of the following principles: equity, inclusion and diversity.
ACCA truly believes and lives by its mission statement and its commitment to equity, social justice and inclusion.
DEPARTMENT – Special Events
DIRECT REPORTING – Special Events Director
WORKS CLOSELY WITH – Rentals Mgr. and Event Coordinators
POSITION STATUS & SCHEDULE – Part-time, hourly; hours vary, are mostly evenings and weekends, and are event dependent
COMPENSATION – Starting at $18.00 per hour
HIRE DATE – Immediate
POSITION SUMMARY – Assist the Event Coordinators with aspects of rental events including managing event day-of, closing out after each event, and re-setting venue equipment after event.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES –
- Have a complete working knowledge of ACCA’s standard operating procedures and event protocol, including concession policies, and money handling policies after training.
- Follow Event Sheet for each event that includes all details for all rental events.
- Communicate with the Special Events Director, Event Coordinators, Banquet Set-up Crew and other personnel concerning the set-up and removal of all necessary tables, chairs, podiums, etc. for all rental events.
- Work during the event with event caterers, valet, and vendors as necessary.
- Follow room layouts and event programming.
- Assist the Event Coordinator to oversee and manage staff pre and post-event including Banquet Set-up Crew.
- Assist the Event Coordinator to manage all staff during events including bar, security, cleaning, house crew.
- Wash all in-house linens used during rental events.
- Purchase some concessions items (i.e. bar fruit).
- Ensure that the function runs smoothly and efficiently.
- Post-event evaluation with appropriate staff, as well as post-event closeout documentation.
- Manage a point of sales system and provide reports as needed.
- Change marquee before or after events.
- Complete tasks with attention to detail.
- Handle Emergency Evacuation and First Aid for all event guests.
- Meet with potential clients during a site visit to facilitate renting our venues.
- Other duties as assigned.
In addition to the duties listed above, ACCA expects the following of each employee: adheres to ACCA’s policies and procedures; works in a safe manner; performs duties as workload necessitates; maintains a positive and respectful attitude; communicates regularly with supervisor about department issues; demonstrates efficient time management and prioritizes workload; demonstrates regular and consistent attendance and punctuality; meets productivity standards; participates in ACCA events as needed or required, and completes other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES –
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, & Google Docs.
- Illinois Liquor Control Commission BASSET Certification (may be completed upon hiring).
- State of Illinois Department of Public Health Food Service Management (may be completed upon hiring).
- Crowd Control Management certification (may be completed upon hiring)
- Ability to sustain physical activity when pushing carts, setting up the event spaces, and remaining on feet for long periods. Must be able to lift up to 50lbs.
- Be the onsite point of contact throughout the entire rental event.
- Ability to work outdoors during RiverEdge Park season and in inclement weather.
- Willing to work long shifts and late nights.
- Must be willing to work on evenings and weekends.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS and ABILITIES –
- Motivated, self-starter who can take minimal directions and see an event from start to completion.
- Organized so that all details of events are coordinated and managed.
- Hands-on with set-up and tear-down of event and inventory movement when needed.
- Able to handle a fast-paced environment.
- Able to maintain a professional demeanor with clients and vendors.
- Responsive and considerate of all customers’ needs.
- Able to assess a situation and proactively manage problems.
Due to frequent and necessary interaction with members of the general public, performers, fellow employees and other individuals, successful candidates for employment are required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 before they begin work and will be required to provide proof of vaccination. “Fully vaccinated” as defined by the CDC means that at least 14 days have passed following receipt of the final dose of an FDA authorized Covid-19 vaccine. Additionally, the Covid-19 bivalent booster is required for eligible employees.
ACCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment, and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability status, marital or familial status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. ACCA encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, veterans, and others who are eager to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
TO APPLY – Please submit a cover letter and resume using the online job application at
Or mail/drop off to: Aurora Civic Center Authority, ATTN: (Jennifer Hahn), 8 East Galena Blvd., Suite 230, Aurora, IL 60506