Chicago Shakespeare Theaters Evening Custodian is responsible for the overall cleanliness of the building/theaters for all artists, employees, and patrons. This position has responsibilities that are occasionally in proximity to the public and or direct interaction with the public.
Reports To: Custodial Manager
Work Hours: 35-40 hours per week. Must be available to work evening shifts, including weekends.
Follow daily task list and schedule. Tasks will include but not limited to:
- Keeping building and property in clean and orderly condition.
- Scrubbing, sanitizing, and restocking restroom facilities.
- Cleaning rugs, upholstery, vinyl floor, carpets etc.
- Cleaning walls, ceilings, woodwork, windows, doors, and other surfaces
- Removing trash and recycling to outside compactors
- Setting up and breaking down chairs, tables, and equipment for meetings and events
- Replacing light bulbs, light maintenance tasks
- Receiving deliveries and helping unload and distribute
- Assisting with removal and install of theater seats
- Checking and securing building at end of night; setting alarm
- Reporting observed security, maintenance, or cleaning issues to management
- Responding promptly to calls and requests on radio equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Experience and Abilities:
- Minimum two years prior custodial experience.
- Ability to be punctual and work flexible schedules including weekends.
- Capable of performing physical tasks including but not limited to climbing, stooping, pushing, bending, kneeling, reaching, lifting, and moving up to 40lbs.
- Knowledge of proper use of cleaning equipment and chemicals.
- Experience with floor care machines.
- Knowledge and ability in the operation of tools.
- Knowledge of common industry practices including safety standards.
- Previous custodial experience with an arts organization.
- Proven problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to cooperate and collaborate with others.
- Effective communication skills, including proper use of radio equipment.
- Ability to stay balanced under pressure and adjust to the unexpected.
- Ability to remain solutions-oriented during time of change with demonstrated patience.
- Ability to adapt to change quickly and nimbly.
Full-time hourly/non-exempt, $17.00 per hour.