Status: Full-time, permanent (40 hours/week)
Reports to: Associate Director of Communications
Marwen educates and inspires young people to nurture their growth and build their futures through art and community. Founded in 1987, the no-cost studio and pathway programs exist for young people in Chicago who want to explore visual arts and do not have access to arts programming due to financial and systemic barriers. Courses are facilitated by cohorts of intergenerational teaching artist teams. For more information, visit www.marwen.org.
Overview of Position:
Marwen seeks a passionate and ambitious communications professional who believes in the power of young people, community, and the arts to lead efforts for social change. The Engagement Coordinator is a relationship builder who supports and amplifies Marwen's visibility through communications and marketing collaborations. This role reports to the Associate Director of Communications and works in collaboration with the Communications and Programs teams to support external, community-based outreach strategies and efforts.
Core Role & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for relationship development, engagement, and growth of Marwen’s partnership community by creating and building new opportunities for Marwen to connect with Chicago’s beautiful and diverse neighborhoods, communities, and organizations
- Work to ensure that outreach and related programs are relevant, responsive, and aligned with youth development and embody Marwen’s core values -- belonging, joy, imagination, lived experiences, and collaboration
- Ensure transparency and cultivate reciprocal and values-aligned external relationships that drive Marwen’s impact
- Manage email marketing, mailers, and social media strategy to support outreach and community engagement efforts
- Act as key liaison between Communications and Programs teams: attend meetings; research, analyze, and report on existing and prospective partnerships that align with Marwen’s core values
- With the support of a multi-departmental internal team, facilitate and grow new Commissions program outreach, communications, and platforms
- In partnership with Communications and Programs team members, co-lead planning, scheduling, and facilitation of Marwen’s presence at offsite event-based opportunities, including resource fairs, festivals, and special neighborhood-based programs that amplify the visibility of Marwen’s programs
- Co-develop and project manage new volunteer opportunities at Marwen for young people, families, and our wider community of artists in collaboration with Programs and Communications teams
- Serve as an ambassador and spokesperson for Marwen programs, both internally and externally across the arts, education, and youth development fields
- Work to refine outreach with a focus on equity, access, and responsiveness to the unique needs of young people and families in Chicago
- Revise existing outreach materials and develop new efforts that reflect an asset-based approach that centers the power of young people
The ideal candidate will have:
- Belief in the vital role young people play in social change
- Must be culturally competent and possess the ability to navigate spectrums of Chicago communities, including young people who identify as youth of color, queer or LGBTQI, newcomers, first-generation immigrants, and neurodivergent
- Must demonstrate sincerity and respect in all interactions with youth and adults
- Minimum of 2-3 years experience in nonprofit communications, community engagement, outreach, and/or youth development work
- Project management experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with priority on strong interpersonal skills and a proven ability to develop and maintain effective relationships
- Knowledge of the arts, arts education, youth development, and public school landscape in Chicago preferred
- Willingness and ability to work daytime office hours in addition to offsite events and occasional evenings and weekends
- Proficiency in Spanish, especially writing, preferred but not required
- Familiarity with Mac operating systems, Google systems
- Experience with database work, data-entry, or spreadsheet management
- Ability to manage several projects at once; deadline oriented; comfort in working independently and in collaboration with various teams
The compensation for this position is $40K annually commensurate with experience, generous PTO, full health benefits, and retirement plan match. Marwen is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and equity in the workplace. We strongly encourage those who reflect our communities to apply, including bilingual individuals, LGBTQI and/or people of color.
Please send a resume and cover letter to KReinard (at) marwen (dot) org with the subject line “Engagement Coordinator.” The deadline for submissions is June 24, 2022.