EDUCATION AND ENGAGEMENT DEPARTMENT ASSISTANT
Report To: Walter Director of Education and Engagement
Start Date: Negotiable
Salary Range: $32-35,000
Join the dynamic team of arts professionals at the Goodman Theatre! Chicago’s theater since 1925, Goodman Theatre is a not-for-profit arts and community organization in the heart of the Loop, distinguished by the excellence and scope of its artistic programming and community engagement. The theater’s artistic priorities include new play development (more than 150 world or American premieres), large scale musical theater works and reimagined classics. As a cultural and community organization, Goodman Theatre is committed to using the art of theater for a better Chicago. Using the tools of the theatrical profession, the Goodman’s Education and Engagement programs aim to develop generations of citizens who understand the cultures and stories of diverse voices.
We at Goodman Theatre are storytellers who believe that a diversity of people, ideas and cultures in our organization enriches both the art on stage and our civic engagement. In our workplace, we strive to reflect the communities we serve, and make space in which each individual is empowered to bring their full, authentic self to work. The Goodman values equity, diversity and inclusion and is committed to approaching our work through the practice of anti-racism. The inclusion of difference(s) such as ability, age, background, beliefs, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, race, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status and all other identities represented across staff, board, artists and audiences help make us better equipped to live these values—on stage and off. Learn more at GoodmanTheatre.org/Accountability
OVERVIEW OF POSITION
The Education and Engagement Assistant provides administrative and technical support to the Education and Engagement Department Team. Working in collaboration with team members and reporting to the Department Director, this position assists with responsibilities of the Department including: study guide development; meeting preparation and support; taking RSVPs; creating forms and organizational systems; creating and maintaining teacher and community listings; electronic and paper filing. The ideal candidate will be a versatile writer, editor and proofreader as well as an expert multi-tasker with excellent organizational skills.
- Support the Administrative needs of the Education and Engagement Department
- Assist with teacher and community program development as needed
- Assist with tracking of teacher lesson plans.
- Create workshop reminders and maintain Chicago Public Schools and Illinois State Board of Education certification forms
- Manage Schoology Learning Management System
- Prepare agendas for weekly Departmental meetings, teacher professional development workshops, and community programs
- Research, write and edit original articles for study guides and teacher resources
- Liaise with other Goodman departments to fulfill needs from Education and Engagement
- Assist Education and Engagement Department in the execution of and follow-up to special events, workshops, programs and activities
- Assist with creating invitation lists for events for the Department and track attendance and update in Tessitura
- Process ticket requests that are received from all areas of the Department
- Maintain community program partners database and communications, and proofread community partner listings for electronic and print materials
- Assist development department staff in stewardship activities relating to donors, including opening nights and other cultivation events for Education Department
- Liaise with development department to ensure donor sponsorship recognition and benefit fulfillment
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- 1-3 years of administrative or related experience
- Ability to manage numerous projects in a fast-paced environment
- High level of attention to detail
- Collaborative spirit and ability to embrace flexibility of working with many members of the team
- Commitment to accuracy and quality with a demonstrated ability to manage sensitive information
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Typeform, learning management systems and experience with Tessitura Database or other fundraising software a plus
- Excellent writing, editing, copyediting and proofreading skills
Goodman Theatre offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, paid vacation, sick leave, and 401K.
Goodman Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. By dedicating itself to three guiding principles—quality, diversity and community— the Goodman Theatre seeks to be the premier cultural organization in Chicago, providing productions and programs that make an essential contribution to the quality of life in our city.
The Goodman requires proof of full vaccination. New employees who are not fully vaccinated as of the date of hire are required to be fully vaccinated within 45 days of hire and provide twice-weekly proof of a negative COVID-19 test prior to being fully vaccinated. Further details will be provided upon hire.
The Goodman is an inclusive and accessible employer. Successful candidates will have experience working with diverse groups of people and will demonstrate a deep commitment to advancing equity and inclusion at the Goodman Theatre.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified individuals are invited to submit a cover letter and resume by clicking here and selecting the "Apply to this job" button at the bottom of the page. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this open position by listing the specific website or posting location. No phone calls, please.