Editor and Copywriter
TITLE: Editor and Copywriter
FLSA STATUS: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
DEPARTMENT: Sales & Marketing
Responsible for the preparation and editing of program books for the Symphony Center Presents series, the CSO Chamber Music series, the Civic Orchestra of Chicago, and other special events as assigned. All publications must be produced with careful attention to detail with the intention of creating publications that enhance as well as inform the audience experience in addition to providing an accurate representation of CSOA performances. There are also opportunities to write copy for various program books, Sounds and Stories, and CSO.org. Position will work closely with program book team and report to the Director of Content.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as editor for Symphony Center Presents, CSO Chamber Music series, Civic Orchestra of Chicago, and other concerts as assigned;
- Prepare program materials including program page listings, sponsorship acknowledgements, program notes (if needed), artist biographies, headshots, special features, and rosters for layout;
- Communicate with appropriate contacts, including artistic management and colleagues in the development and artistic departments, to secure needed or missing materials and research and write these components when needed;
- Edit all materials to ensure accuracy and evaluate copy for compliance with policies, style, and tone;
- Deliver edited materials to designer for layout by scheduled deadlines;
- Distribute drafts (at least two versions per program) for review and compile edits and confirm when books are ready for print;
- Notify artistic of changes to the program from artist management revealed during the editing process;
- Work with Content Director to plan and then write special editorial pieces for various publications;
- Provide general copywriting and copyediting support for various marketing projects as needed
- Special projects as assigned.
1. Reports to Director of Content
2. Works closely with members of the program book, public relations, artistic, and marketing teams
3. Other contacts include outside artistic management
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Minimum of two years of experience as editor or relevant role
- Exceptional research, copywriting, and editing skills and familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style guidelines
- Extensive knowledge of classical music and experience with other musical genres preferred
- Courteous and effective communication skills in person as well as via phone and email
- Ability to remain organized and adjust priorities in a fast-paced environment subject to frequent programmatic changes.
- Attention to detail in all aspects of work
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and other desktop publishing software as well as ability to adopt new digital platforms and resources used by CSOA
- Bachelor’s degree in music, journalism, or relevant field
- Seeking creative, resourceful, reliable, and positive candidates with genuine enthusiasm for publishing and music
Pleasant office environment.
To apply for full-time, part-time or seasonal positions with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Association:
Please email your cover letter, resume and salary history (PDF or Word attachments only) to email@example.com.
Please send your cover letter, resume and salary history to:
Chicago Symphony Orchestra Association
Human Resources Department
220 S. Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60604
Please send your cover letter, resume and salary history to 312-294-3838.
The Chicago Symphony Orchestra Association is an Equal Opportunity employer which values and encourages a diverse workforce.