Early Childhood Music Teacher
Now hiring part-time teachers!
Seeking good singers who love children and are looking for part-time hourly work. Starting pay is $40/hour.
Current open position requirements:
- Available 1-3 weekday mornings per week (9:00am-12:00pm)
- Saturday mornings (9:00am-12:00pm)
- Occasional weekday afternoons/evenings (based on your availability)
- Occasional Sundays and Saturday afternoons (based on your availability)
- Willingness to travel within the Northside of Chicago on a regular basis
- Willingness to travel to the suburbs on occasional basis (travel bonus included)
- Must be full vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19
- Must own a car
Flexible Scheduling: Hours vary from 1-10 per week, depending on student demand and teacher availability. The Training Program is stipend pay and takes approximately 15 hours to complete.
Hiring & Training will take place over the Summer for official start date in September.
About The Music Playhouse of Chicago
We offer high quality, super fun and interactive early childhood music education classes for families with children ages 0-6. We have been serving the families of Lakeview and beyond for just over 15 years.
We are a mobile business! Classes are held in various spaces throughout the Northside of Chicago including indoors, outdoors, in schools, and in student’s homes, with occasional special events in the city and suburbs.
We also provide in-school music education classes for daycares, preschools, kindergarten, and after-school programs.
For more information, please see the “About” and “Class Descriptions” pages on our website: www.themusicplayhouseofchicago.com
This position is 90% singing & dancing. Teachers are responsible for learning high volumes of music in short periods of time and practicing lesson plans. In addition to teaching your classes, you will be expected to occasionally participate in marketing events, birthday parties, special events, subbing for other teachers, and occasional projects.
- MUST be a good singer
- MUST love small children
- Must play ukulele (or be willing to learn, we’ll provide a ukulele and teach you! It’s easy!)
- Must be willing/able to follow COVID-19 Safety Guidelines such as mask wearing (when required), getting vaccinated, hand washing, and disinfecting props/instruments, etc.
- Experience performing live
- Some formal music training
- Fun, positive, energetic, outgoing personality
- Experience with children ages 0-6
- Must be able to sing in tune a cappella
- Must be able to keep and model a steady beat in duple, triple, and mixed meters (we can teach this to you)
- Must be able to lift small children
- Must be able to sing, dance, smile, and hold a small child all at the same time, and have fun doing it!
- Professional vocal training is a plus
- Strong sight-singing skills are a plus
- Knowledge of music theory is a plus
- Ability to play any instrument is a plus, but not required (we will teach you ukulele)
This job is ideal for a professional musician, singer, actor, parent, or grad student seeking consistent but flexible part-time work to supplement their income with something fun and meaningful. We support diverse communities and encourage all to apply.
Class pay starts at $40/hour, project pay is $25/hour, birthday parties are $50-$75/hour.
Please submit your employment history resume, your performing resume, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.