Early Childhood Music Teacher
Now hiring part-time teachers!
Seeking strong singers who love children and are looking for part-time work to supplement their income. Starting pay is $30/hour.
Current open position requirements:
- Saturday, Sunday, and Wednesday morning availability
- Willingness to travel within the Northside of Chicago
- Must be comfortable teaching classes in student’s homes
- Must be comfortable teaching indoors, in-person small group classes
- Must be comfortable teaching outdoors (in decent weather, of course)
- Must follow all CDC and IDPH COVID-19 safety guidelines
- Must own a car
Hours vary from 1-8 per week, depending on student demand and teacher availability.
We will be accepting applications now, and begin holding interviews and auditions as applications come in. The Training Program is stipend pay and takes approximately 20 hours.
Special Pandemic Notes
We no longer have our own studio, we are a mobile business. Classes are held in various spaces throughout the Northside of Chicago including indoors, outdoors, virtual, and in student’s homes.
Our business was impacted significantly pandemic, and we remain unable to operate at full capacity. You can expect frequent changes to our services and operations to keep up with demand and COVID safety restrictions. We already look very different than we did one year ago, and we will continue adapting as needed over the next several months.
About The Music Playhouse of Chicago
Please see the “About” and “Classes” and “News” pages on our website: www.themusicplayhouseofchicago...
This position is 90% singing & dancing. Teachers are responsible for learning high volumes of music in short periods of time. In addition to teaching your classes, you will be expected to occasionally participate in marketing events, birthday parties, special events, subbing for other teachers, and occasional projects (all with COVID safety considerations). In addition to teaching classes, teachers are responsible for logging attendance, occasionally processing payments, keeping track of student’s birthdays, updating availability accurately and in a timely manner.
- MUST be a strong singer
- MUST love children
- MUST be willing/able to follow COVID-19 Safety Guidelines such as mask wearing, social distancing, hand washing, and disinfecting, etc.
- BA or higher in Music or Theater
- Experience working with children ages 0-6
- Professional performing experience
- Interest in early childhood development
- Must love working with babies and toddlers
- Must be able to sing in tune a cappella
- Must be able to keep and model a steady beat in duple, triple, and mixed meters
- Must be able to lift small children (for after the pandemic)
- Must be able to sing, dance, smile, and hold a small child all at the same time, and have fun doing it (post pandemic, of course)
- Professional vocal training is a plus
- Strong sight-singing skills are a plus
- Some education in music theory is a plus
- Fun, positive, energetic, outgoing personality
- Ability to work well independently
- Ability to work well with a team
- Ability to play in instrument is a plus, but not required (please indicate instrument in your cover letter)
- Experience handling and logging payments in cash, check, or credit card
- Experience building good relationships with clients and providing excellent customer service
- Familiarity with email, mobile email, mobile apps, Excel, Google Spreadsheets, Google Docs, iTunes, bluetooth, social media, iPad, basic knowledge of sound amplification equipment such as speakers and mics
- Familiarity with Zoom
- (See position specific requirements above)
This job is ideal for a professional musician, singer, actor, or grad student seeking consistent but flexible part-time work, or a stay at home parent, or parent working part-time seeking a job to supplement their income with something fun and meaningful. All of our current teachers are professional performers and excellent musicians, and two of us have children of our own. We are a family friendly business, and we encourage parents to apply. We support LGBTQ+ and BLM and encourage all to apply.
Starting pay is $30/hour.
Please submit your employment history resume, your performing resume, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.