Draper | Steppenwolf Theatre Company
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is seeking candidates for the full-time position of Draper.
The Draper works with the Costume Director, Workroom Supervisor, and costume shop team to create, fit and alter costumes for both Steppenwolf Theatre and a wide variety of performing arts organizations. This position requires skills across the spectrum of live performance, including dance, opera, musical theatre and new work as well as the ability to lead a team and ensure a safe, efficient and inclusive work environment.
This position reports to the Costume Director.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills/traits:
• Proven skill in pattern making within a professional costume shop
• Experience in multiple performance genres, including opera, dance, new works and musical theatre
• Knowledge of costume history and textiles
• Strong time management and organization
• Excellent problem-solving and collaboration skills
• Experience and skill with a variety of domestic and industrial machines and other clothing manufacturing equipment
• Willingness to remain flexible in an environment of ever-changing priorities
• Ability to work with a variety of artists in high pressure situations
• Inclusive behavior and the ability to communicate about body types, hair types, skin tones and genders with neutral/positive language
• Steppenwolf gives preference to candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for equity, diversity and inclusion
• Create patterns for a wide variety of costume pieces based on research and renderings provided by the Costume Designer
• Attends fittings of constructed and costumes to be altered
• Supervise first hand and stitchers on the quality construction and alteration of costume pieces
• Executing all assigned projects by delivery dates, in coordination with the Costume Director and Workroom Supervisor
• Cut, stitch, and alter costumes as needed
• Take measurements of performers
• Assist in maintaining costume stock and supply storage
• Maintain a safe, healthy and clean work environment
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is the nation’s premier ensemble theater. Formed by a collective of actors in 1976, the ensemble represents a remarkable cross-section of actors, directors and playwrights. Thrilling and powerful productions from Balm in Gilead to August: Osage County—and accolades that include the National Medal of Arts and 12 Tony Awards— have made the theater legendary. Steppenwolf produces hundreds of performances and events annually in its three spaces: the 515-seat Downstairs Theatre, the 299-seat Upstairs Theatre and the 80-seat 1700 Theatre. Artistic programming includes a seven-play season; a two-play Steppenwolf for Young Adults season; Visiting Company engagements; and LookOut, a multigenre performances series. Education initiatives include the nationally recognized work of Steppenwolf for Young Adults, which engages 15,000 participants annually from Chicago’s diverse communities; the esteemed School at Steppenwolf; and Professional Leadership Programs. While firmly grounded in the Chicago community, nearly 40 original Steppenwolf productions have enjoyed success both nationally and internationally, including Broadway, Off-Broadway, London, Sydney, Galway and Dublin. Anna D. Shapiro is the Artistic Director and David Schmitz is the Executive Director.
For additional information, visit steppenwolf.org, facebook.com/steppenwolftheatre, twitter.com/steppenwolfthtr and instagram.com/steppenwolfthtr.
Salary range: $40,000 - $45,000 (non-exempt) with excellent benefit package for full time employees, including medical, dental, vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, vacation pay, paid sick time, personal days, Ventra transit benefit program, employee assistance program and 401(k) matching retirement program.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three references by following this link by December 7, 2019.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS PLEASE.
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Steppenwolf complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We strongly encourage applications from people of color and members of underrepresented groups.