Director of New Play Development
Join the dynamic team of arts professionals at the Goodman Theatre! Goodman Theatre is an artistic and community institution dedicated to the art of theater and to civic engagement in the theater arts. Goodman believes it has a responsibility to provide artists with the opportunity to explore a wide range of theatrical visions, and ensure that cultural inclusion is the fabric of the organization and fully engages in the life of our community. Goodman is currently seeking applicants for an open position in our Artistic Department.
Title: Director of New Play Development
Position Reports To: Managing Producer
The Director of New Play Development oversees the various new work development programs at The Goodman, including the curation and producing of our annual New Stages Festival and our commissioning program. They are an active participant in season planning efforts and manage the Literary Department staff, overseeing literary support for all productions and workshops.
Job Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Managing the Literary Department staff
- Maintaining and fostering relationships with playwrights and their representatives.
- Actively searching for plays (new and established) and productions to be considered for production.
- Interfacing with Goodman Theatre’s Artistic Collective regarding future projects.
- Reading, critiquing, developing and discussing projects under consideration seasonally and long-term.
- Overseeing the commissioning program and other new play development functions and programs.
- Working closely with the Resident Dramaturg to determine and hire free-lance dramaturgs as needed.
- Contributing to our OnStage newsletter and other institutional publications.
- Functioning as the lead producer and curator of our annual New Stages Festival.
- Serving as a line producer for new work productions which includes: early discussions with the creative team, engaging with the casting process, participating in design meetings, being present in rehearsals as needed and being a principal presence through tech and previews.
- Working with grant writers to craft proposals.
- Representing the Goodman in the local and national communities including public events, fundraising events, national conferences and forums.
- BA or BFA degree in Theatre or related fields
- Strong existing relationships with Playwrights, literary agents and other literary professionals within the theatre industry
- Strong leadership, management and organization skills
- Exemplary writing skills
- Exemplary interpersonal and communications skills
- Experience with Microsoft Suite/Office 365, primarily Excel, Word and Outlook
- Master’s Degree in Theatre or related field
- Dramaturgical and producing experience in the commercial or non-profit theatre; familiarity with ArtsVision, KS Limelight.
Goodman Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
We are an inclusive and accessible employer; successful candidates will have experience working with diverse groups of people and will demonstrate a deep commitment to advancing equity and inclusion at the Goodman Theatre.
Please submit your resume (stressing previous experience and qualifications) and a cover letter with contact information for at least three professional references to: https://www.ikrut.com/microsite/pages/Goodman%20Theatre/default.html
Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this open position by listing the specific website or posting location. No phone calls, please.
Deadline to apply: Friday, August 30th, 2019