Director of Marketing and Communication
Summary: Under the leadership of Artistic Director Chay Yew and Executive Director Erica Daniels, Victory Gardens Theater is dedicated to artistic excellence while creating a vital, contemporary American Theater that is accessible and relevant to all people through quality productions of challenging new plays and musicals.
Victory Gardens is a leader in developing and producing new theatre work and cultivating an inclusive theater community. The theater’s core strengths are nurturing and producing dynamic and inspiring new plays, reflecting the diversity of our city’s and nation’s culture through engaging diverse communities, and in partnership with Chicago Public Schools, bringing art and culture to our city’s active student population.
Director of Marketing and Communications
The Director of Marketing and Communications reports to the Executive Director but also works closely with the Artistic Director to communicate the artistic vision and mission of the theater. This position is responsible for the theater’s external communication strategy including the theater’s branding, single ticket initiatives, subscription campaigns, press, and all customer and front of house services.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee Marketing, Audience Development and Box Office Departments. Supervise and work closely with the following full-time positions.
- Graphic Designer & Brand Manager
- Audience Development Manager
- Marketing Assistant
- Audience Services Manager & Group Sales Manager
- Front of House and Bar Coordinator
- With the Audience Development Manager cultivate and develop sustainable partnerships that will grow an audience base that reflects the cultural diversity of Chicago
- With the Audience Services Manager and Bar & Group Sales Coordinator, and their subsequent part-time box office staff, ensure seamless and engaging touch-points across all aspects of the theater, including group sales, audience services, box office, bar, and concessions
- Work closely with the theater’s press team to effectively generate press coverage
- Direct the design, production, and distribution of all print and electronic communication materials; includes supervising and managing relationships with internal Graphic Designer and Brand Manager, external designers, photographers, and printers
- Create and implement marketing campaigns for all Victory Gardens Theater productions, including key art, graphic design, messaging, media buys, promotional videos, and social media. Work with Marketing Assistant on implementation of these campaigns.
- Develop yearly subscription renewal and acquisition campaigns
- Develop and monitor revenue projections and implement pricing strategies to maximize revenue
- Manage institutional branding projects as opportunities arise
- Collaborate with all departments to market and promote individual department programs and initiatives to meet institutional goals
- Oversee the Victory Gardens Theater Marketing Committee, comprised of experts in the field of marketing from various industries
- In coordination with the Executive Director and Finance Director develop an expense budget and manage this budget efficiently
Qualifications and Skills
- Five years of previous career experience in marketing or related field
- Demonstrated record of accomplishments in effective marketing strategies and excellent strategic planning and organizational skills
- Detail-oriented and able to manage numerous important projects concurrently and effectively motivate staff to meet strict deadlines
- Experience working within multicultural and multi-ethnic environments
- Strategic and analytical skills
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Proven organizational skills
- Strong networking and relationship-building skills
- Comfort and ability to thrive in public facing position
- Computer literacy
- Enthusiasm for team building
- Interest in and knowledge of theatre/performing arts
- Knowledge of Spektrix, DotDigital, Word Press, Mailchimp, and TRGArts a plus
Salary is competitive within the non-profit performing arts industry and commensurate with qualification and experience. Excellent benefits package.
Victory Gardens Theater provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Victory Gardens Theater complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Qualified and interested candidates should send a letter of interest and a confidential resume to HR2@victorygardens.org with subject line “Director of Marketing and Communications”
Deadline to apply is November 11, 2019.
Victory Gardens Theater
2433 N. Lincoln Avenue
Chicago, IL 60014