Director of Marketing
Chicago Opera Theater (“COT”) is seeking a Director of Marketing to join its senior leadership team and expand opera as a living art form. The Director of Marketing is responsible for the planning, implementation, and evaluation of all marketing and communication activities. This role’s central goal is to increase earned revenue programs, grow patron loyalty, and to increase brand awareness. The successful candidate will have a proven track record in ticket sales, marketing, advertising, branding, public relations, and event coordination. The Director of Marketing manages 1 team member and reports to the General Director.
COT’s 2021-2022 season comprises 3 mainstage productions, including a new commission, a new production by our Vanguard composer-in-residence, and several ancillary events surrounding each of these productions. COT performs in venues ranging from 650 - 1400 seats. Earned revenue from marketing efforts range from $250,000 - $400,000 annually. COT will mark its 50th anniversary in 2023.
- Maximize earned income revenues by crafting and executing strategic and comprehensive annual marketing and public relations campaigns.
- Manage major growth in audience size among subscribers and single ticket holders.
- Manage the effective growth and evolution of the COT brand both locally and worldwide.
- Ensure all external communication, including but not limited to digital marketing, company website, press releases, social media, and various collateral is accurate, consistent, and aligned with the company brand and produced timely.
- Coordinate promotional events and activities, including press conferences, promotional tie-ins with companies, audience development, and collaborative engagement efforts with other arts and non-profit organizations.
- Evaluate important metrics that affect company website traffic, conversion rates, and target audience.
- Oversee and manage marketing budgetWorks closely with artistic, development, and community engagement departments to effectively communicate to our audience.
- Provide clear, accurate reports, both verbally and written, to the board and staff.
- Coordinate efforts with contracted PR firm to ensure messaging alignment across all channels.
- 3-5 years of marketing experience, preferably in the arts & culture sector
- Exceptional writing, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Experience in digital marketing
- Ability to analyze data and strategize appropriately within a defined budget
- Creative mindset to seek new opportunities for the company
- Familiar with CRM and box office procedures
- Experience with Squarespace, Wordpress, or similar interfaces a plus
- Committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion and supporting an institution striving to be anti-racist
- Bachelor’s degree encouraged
Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC), immigrants, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary range is $50,000 - $60,000 annually plus health, dental, and vision insurance; paid vacation, holidays, sick and personal days; paid family leave; life insurance; flexible & remote work options; 403(b) plan; complimentary tickets; and other benefits. Relocation assistance available for out-of-town candidates. Salary is commensurate with experience. Position is full-time salaried, exempt.
Please let us know how you heard about this opportunity along with submitting a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chicago Opera Theater is an equal-opportunity employer, and is strongly committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. As such, COT encourages applicants of all races, ethnicities, gender identities, and ages to submit for auditions and open positions.