Director of Institutional Marketing & Revenue Management Chicago Symphony Orchestra
The Director of Institutional Marketing & Revenue Management leads branding efforts for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Association (CSOA) by implementing dynamic awareness and top-of-funnel advertising campaigns. The Director’s marketing portfolio includes support for CSOradio, CSOtv, CSO Resound, fundraising events and tours. They will cultivate and maintain partnerships in the hospitality and tourism industry along with corporations and associations, serving as an ambassador for the CSOA. They manage key relationships with volunteer groups including the African American Network, Latino Alliance, and young professionals, while working to advance Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) initiatives for audience development and engagement.
The Director champions a sophisticated revenue management practice for the organization including dynamic pricing, inventory management, sales projections, forecasting and analysis. They provide data analysis and conduct research studies to support the goals of the Sales & Marketing department and fulfilment of the CSOA’s strategic plan.
CSOA is an equal opportunity employer where all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin. We value diversity and inclusion and seek to build and maintain a community and culture that celebrates and values diverse backgrounds, identities, and perspectives. We consider equivalent combinations of experience and education for jobs, and all candidates who believe they possess equivalent experience and education are encouraged to apply.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Lead strategic initiatives including institutional marketing and branding efforts to create awareness and engagement from a more diverse audience.
2. Promote diversity, inclusivity, and empowerment with the Marketing department team members.
3. Serve as marketing lead for CSOradio, CSOtv, CSO Resound, fundraising events, retail, food and beverage operations, rentals, runouts and tours.
4. Develop and maintain marketing partnerships with corporations and associations as well as organizations in the hospitality and tourism industry, dining, parking and transit, and third-party sales outlets.
5. Serve as CSOA ambassador in industry cohorts such as the League of Chicago Theatres, Chicago Cultural Cooperative, Chicago Loop Alliance, Choose Chicago, League of American Orchestras, etc.
6. Manage key relationships and support the initiatives of CSOA volunteer groups including the African American Network, Latino Alliance, and programs for young professionals.
7. Lead departmental efforts to expand audience development and deepen engagement for the CSOA’s ongoing work in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
8. Create, monitor and update sales projections for all CSOA-presented concerts based on historical research and analysis.
9. Record historical sales reporting in various formats and assist with compiling sales reports and analysis for the institution and CSOA Board of Trustees.
10. Provide pricing strategy recommendations for all Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Symphony Center Presents and Negaunee Music Institute events at the performance, package, and series level. Oversee the implementation of approved pricing strategies.
11. Monitor ongoing sales trends to identify concerts with revenue opportunities, identify concerts that are not on target to meet sales goals, regularly review global sales projections to evaluate progress related to institutional sales goals, and reforecast sales goals where necessary.
12. Work closely with marketing and sales staff to identify, create and implement targeted promotions.
13. Co-lead the cross-departmental Ticket Inventory Group, which is responsible for institutional concert inventory management.
14. Serve as primary marketing liaison to the Finance department for budgets and projections.
15. Provide support for the continual development and execution of the strategic plan in coordination with the Vice President of Sales & Marketing.
16. Serve as power user of Tessitura Analytics, the CSOA’s business intelligence platform. Work with the ISS department and external consultants to develop a suite of reporting tools to automate the measurement and evaluation of sales.
17. Manage the marketing setup of events in Tessitura.
18. Participate in Tessitura User Group meetings and data governance discussions.
19. Serve as department representative at Symphony Center concerts and events.
20. Special projects as assigned.
1. Reports to Vice President for Sales & Marketing
2. Supervises: Community Relations Manager
3. Works closely with members of the Marketing, Sales & Patron Experience, Artistic, and Finance departments.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
1. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent knowledge in marketing, pricing and analysis.
2. Classical music background or related degree.
3. Five or more years of experience in arts marketing.
4. Experience with Tessitura a plus.
5. Excellent written, verbal, presentation and organizational skills.
6. Strong computer skills required; MSOffice – Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
Pleasant office environment.