Director Of Institutional Giving
HARRIS THEATER FOR MUSIC & DANCE
Director of Institutional Giving
Job Title: Director of Institutional Giving
Reports to: Vice President of Development
Full-time, hybrid onsite / remote work Hours: Monday - Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Weekends and evenings for events and performances
At the Harris Theater for Music & Dance, we are committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. We believe that our differences make us stronger, and we are dedicated to promoting diversity and inclusion in all aspects of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer that values and welcomes diversity in our workplace.
The Director of Institutional Giving is a full-time position, reporting to the Vice President of Development and leading the departmental strategies for foundation, corporate, and government support. They are supported by an institutional giving consultant who manages all grant writing and reporting. This position also oversees the Harris Theater Presents sponsorship portfolio which includes a broad range of corporate, community, and individual supporters who fund the diverse cohort of international and local artists who are presented on the Harris mainstage each year.
As a member of the Harris Theater leadership team, the Director of Institutional Giving engages in strategy for optimization of time and resources for the development team and setting measurable annual and long-term goals. This individual is a proud representative of the Harris Theater in the community and is committed to enriching the Theater’s company culture as the Theater approaches its historic 20th Anniversary season.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Foundation, Government, and Corporate Giving
• Develop and manage stewardship and cultivation strategy for all Harris Theater foundation, government, and corporate donors with combined expected revenue of approximately $600k for FY24 in partnership with VP of Development
• Oversee sponsorship revenue for all Harris Theater Presents programming with combined revenue of $2.5M for FY24 in partnership with VP of Development
• Oversee Harris Theater’s institutional giving consultant to ensure timely solicitation and accurate reporting for all foundation and government contributions, including collaboration with HT finance and program departments as needed
• Establish and track fundraising goals for all categories of institutional giving
• Ensure compelling and accurate storytelling and impact metrics for all institutional giving materials
• Conduct in-person, video, or other meetings with funders’ representatives to ensure alignment of proposals with giving priorities.
• Enter plans, steps, and call reports in the Tessitura database in a timely fashion to support accurate and timely reporting of fundraising performance.
• Proactively ensure that all corporate and foundation sponsorship benefits and recognition commitments are fulfilled promptly, accurately, and comprehensively.
• Research new grant and sponsorship opportunities in collaboration with institutional giving consultant
Stewardship and Reporting
• Lead VIP ticketing and sponsorship benefits related to event attendance for institutional giving partners
• Extract and analyze data to be presented to the leadership team and the Board of Trustees Development Committee to help lead fundraising discussion and strategy
Leadership and Management
• Serve as the primary Development team CRM administrator and subject matter expert for the Theater’s database, Tessitura. Advise Development team on optimized policies and procedures for data management
• In collaboration with the VP of Development and Director of Donor Relations, represent the Harris Theater as an organizational point of contact at performances, community engagement programs, and other events in the Chicago arts and non-profit community
• Serve as staff liaison for HT Associate Board, ensuring fundraising goals are in place, benefits are defined, and event support is provided
• Supports the VP of Development, Director of Donor Relations, and President and CEO in data analysis leading to the cultivation and solicitation of major institutional giving prospects
• Provides leadership and mentorship to members of the Harris development team
EXPECTATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
As a key member of the Theater team, the Director of Institutional Giving is expected to:
• Uphold the Harris Theater’s mission to be a home for music and dance, and embody organizational core values of artistic integrity, collaboration, belonging, resilience, and respect
• Attend performances/events as required and share staffing responsibilities with the team for the welcome table, event logistics, and other areas as assigned
• Participate in regular team meetings, share ideas, and communicate openly with peers and supervisor about questions, challenges, and successes
• Uphold the Harris Theater Code of Conduct and represent the Theater positively in interactions with artists, partner organizations, donors, and patrons
The ideal candidate will have:
• 5+ years of experience in arts administration, fundraising, or a related field, experience with foundation, corporate, and government giving preferred
• Proven track record in project management, written communication, and data analysis and management
• Track record setting and meeting financial goals
• Strong communication, organizational, and prioritization skills
• Willingness to collaborate with colleagues
• Capacity to effectively prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
• Sensitivity to and ability to maintain confidential information
• Experience in a not-for-profit organization, event planning, and employee management preferred
• Experience with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, InDesign, and Tessitura
SALARY RANGE AND INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLY
The salary for this position begins at $75,000 based on qualifications and experience, and benefits package. Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply, and we are committed to providing a welcoming and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and supported.
The Harris Theater for Music and Dance is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, veteran, national origin, or disability status or any protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, and local laws.