Director of Finance and Human Resources
Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestras (CYSO) announces an immediate opening for a full-time Director of Finance and Human Resources.
CYSO’s mission is to inspire and cultivate personal excellence through music. We offer a continuum of programs that serve young musicians 6-18 years old through on-site ensembles, neighborhood programming, and concerts serving Chicago Public Schools students and the wider Chicagoland community. Each season, we serve 800 young musicians in weekly rehearsals and another 8,500 students and families through community programming.
CYSO is investing in the future of music and the next generation of leaders. As an organization, we foster a culture of excellence and professionalism among staff. Our team values compassion, collaboration, and an on-going desire to continue to learn as individuals and as an organization. The CYSO staff is passionate about music, young people, education, and equity.
The Director of Finance and HR reports to the Executive Director and supervises one part-time Staff Accountant. The Director of Finance provides the vision, development, and implementation of all policies and procedures related to financial activity and accountability for the organization. The position is also responsible for managing all aspects of human resources in partnership with the Executive Director. In collaboration with the Director of Operations, the position is also responsible for maintaining the technical and office managerial needs for the organization.
Responsibilities and Duties
● Strategic thought-partner to the Executive Director for decision making as CYSO grows in size and impact
● Lead and develop CYSO staff and contractors where needed to support the following areas: finance, business planning and budgeting, human resources, administration, and IT.
● Along with all other members of senior staff, lead all major administrative problem solving and planning
● Supervise part-time (30 hrs/ week) Staff Accountant.
● Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program, and grants accounting.
● Build systems for accurate and efficient reporting and reconciliation between departments
● Coordinate and lead the annual audit and 990 filing process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
● Oversee and lead the annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Executive Director; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
● Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
● Oversee accounts payable and receivable for all CYSO employment, programs, and events.
● Oversee and review operating controls regarding accounting policies and procedures as well as compliance with city, state, and federal reporting requirements.
● Manage all banking relationships and activities.
● Serve as staff liaison for the Board of Directors’ Finance Committee, attend Board and Committee meetings, prepare reports and present financial information at regular Board meetings as needed.
● Annually review the organization’s corporate insurance policies for commercial property, general liability, directors’ and officer’s liability, and worker’s compensation.
● Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices
Human Resources, Technology and Administration
● Further develop CYSO’s human resources and administration, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, training, and recruiting.
● Oversee employee onboarding and employee documentation for full and part-time staff including administration of employee benefit programs (health and dental insurance, FSA accounts, life and disability insurance policies, and retirement plans).
● Ensure that recruiting and hiring processes are consistent and streamlined including overseeing onboarding for new employees (background checks, vaccination policy, mandated reporter policy, conflict of interest policy, etc.)
● Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff employment policies and procedures.
● Manage and administer employee payroll through Paychex
● Annually prepare and mail IRS forms 1099-MISC for independent contractors
● Maintain proper documentation for and contributions to CYSO’s 403(b)(7) plan
● Develop and update the CYSO Employee Handbook
● Work with CYSO’s Director of Operations and IT Consultant to maintain the organization’s computer network system, including, implementation of backup procedures, virus protection, and usage monitoring.
● Oversee information systems, including currently utilized and prospective software applications.
● Ensure consistency and continuity of internet, telephone, and internal network operations.
Program related activities & additional duties:
● Attend and assist with scheduled concerts & fundraising events as needed
The ideal candidate would possess the following qualifications:
● Experience with Not for Profit Accounting
● Organization skills for maintaining Finance Department records and data files
● Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
● Strong attention to detail
● Excellent interpersonal skills
● Ability to work independently and as part of a team
● BA Accounting required, advanced degree /certification preferred
● Experience with FundEZ or similar accounting software required
● Familiarity with Salesforce/Patronmanager and Microsoft 365 preferred
● Experience with Human Resources for small to medium businesses
● Lifting and moving of equipment up to 25 lbs
● Interest in arts/orchestra management
● Enthusiasm for working with youth and families
The Director of Finance and Human Resources must be available to work Monday through Friday 9am-5pm. We require three days a week in office with the option for two remote work days. Nights and weekends may be required for CYSO concerts and events.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
$65,000-75,000 salary range. 40 hours a week.
● Health/dental insurance, ~80% covered;
● Life/STD/LTD insurance, employer paid;
● 403(b)(7) pension savings plan with employer contribution up to 5% match after one year;
● 10 vacation, 10 PTO, plus 14 holiday days off per year.
Please send a letter of intent and résumé with three references via email to: Susan Lape, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please list “CYSO Director of Finance and HR” in the email subject line.
No phone calls please.
*References will be contacted only after an applicant has been invited to an interview.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applications will be paper-screened and those exhibiting superior qualifications will be invited to an in person or video interview.
Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestras’ dedication to equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) is inseparable from our commitment to musical excellence. We value the unique role and contribution of every member of our team and recognize the importance of a staff that reflects the experience and background of our students in order to equip them to excel as the next generation of leaders. CYSO staff regularly participate in antiracism, anti-bias, and other EDI training and actively seek candidates for all roles who are equipped and committed to furthering this work.
CYSO is an equal opportunity employer.