DIRECTOR OF COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
Expanding the tradition of opera as a living art form includes authentically connecting and engaging with our community at-large. Chicago Opera Theater seeks a creative, collaborative, community-minded leader to guide the company’s Community Engagement department, which oversees COT’s partnerships with Chicago-area organizations and institutions, including Chicago Public Schools, and implements COT’s internal and external EDI efforts. This position will lead a team of teaching artists and administrators, and serve as a thought leader with regard to COT’s comprehensive community engagement strategies, messaging, and program evaluation. This position serves on COT’s senior team, oversees the Education Manager, and reports directly to the General Director. This position is full-time and exempt.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Community Engagement (40%)
- Creates annual and long-term engagement strategy encompassing community engagement, patron and audience development events, in partnership with marketing and development activities
- Works with advancement and artistic teams to develop engagement events aimed at building audiences’ trust, ownership, and enjoyment of opera in communities historically and presently excluded by our art form
- Identifies and creates meaningful, mutually beneficial partnerships with community organizations
- Develops systems to evaluate effectiveness of community programs
- Oversees coordination and execution of community events
Education and Learning (30%)
- Connects with Chicago Public School leadership to grow investment and participation in COT’s educational programming
- Oversees staff who manage and execute COT’s educational programming in CPS schools
- Strategically assesses, evaluates, and gives feedback to learning & training programs utilizing company logic models, EDI goals, and learning frameworks
- Oversees contracting with CPS schools and After School Matters
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (15%)
- Works closely with leadership and outside consultants to facilitate continued staff and board EDI training and policies
- Works with senior leadership to develop policies that ensure COT is an inclusive and nurturing environment for all staff, artists, and stakeholders, and complies with generally accepted best practices
- Provides thought leadership for staff, artists, and audiences in exploration and celebration of culture, identity, and diversity through artistic expression
- Stays informed on best practices in this sector to help COT evolve and change
- Serves on COT’s leadership team, collaborating on overall strategy and direction of the company
- Oversees department budget
COT is seeking someone who:
- Is a strategic and critical thinker in program building and connecting
- Has excellent relationship building skills
- Is an experienced team leader and facilitator
- Has deep understanding of EDI issues and best practices
- Has experience in the Education Sector; experience evaluating programs a plus
- Has strong written and verbal communication skills
- Has a strong understanding of Chicago communities
- Can demonstrate strong leadership and personnel management skills
- Has strong organizational skills
- Is passionate about music, theater, and performing arts; opera knowledge is a plus
College degree preferred; commensurate experience will be considered.
Chicago Opera Theater is an equal-opportunity employer, and is strongly committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. As such, COT encourages applicants of all races, ethnicities, gender identities, and ages to submit for auditions and open positions.
Salary Range is $55,000 - $60,000 annually plus health insurance, PTO, and other benefits; commensurate with experience. Position is full-time salaried, exempt.
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com.