Digital Media Artist (Film)
ArtSeed engages over 3,000 youth ages 5-10 across 60 parks through storytelling, movement, and ecological art. Children explore the histories and legacies of Chicago's community-based artists and imagine creative solutions to challenges in their own neighborhoods.
Young Cultural Stewards
Young Cultural Stewards (YCS) engage 45 youth ages 11-15 as caretakers of culture and agents of change within their parks and neighborhoods. With regional hubs in Rogers Park, Little Village, and Chatham / Roseland, youth explore what culture and community mean to them while developing skills in cultural and environmental stewardship.
Reparations for the Earth
In the Spring and Summer of 2020, ArtSeed and YCS will engage over 3,000 youth ages 5-15 as they explore the reciprocal relationship between cultural and environmental stewardship. Youth will partner with Illinois-based ecological artists and environmental justice organizers to create a community-based exhibition, documentary film, and curriculum responding to climate change.
The Chicago Park District’s Young Cultural Stewards Fellows and ArtSeed programs seek a digital media based artist to fulfill our need for visual archiving. We are seeking an individual or team which are skilled in rendering content congruent to documentaries, social media campaigns, and street style still photography. In 2020 we are focused on highlighting environmental justice work around the theme ‘Reparations for the Earth’. This will involve location based production city-wide, both at parks and at community organizations. The best candidates will have an interest in creating visceral art with edge, style, and will house the capacity to collaborate with youth of all ages. The selected documentarian will have access to our modest tech locker, archive of past works, and access to meet with our team of teaching artists who shape our work everyday with community. We aim to develop an ongoing relationship with this person or team.
- A strong portfolio of existing work
- A Technical or Bachelors degree in videography/photography, studio art, fine arts, or environmental justice (preferred not required)
- 3-5 years experience creating digital media content
- Cultural competency working across
- Chicago’s diverse neighborhoods
- Training or interest in restorative / transformative justice practices strongly preferred
- Possess essential technology and post-production equipment
- Spanish language fluency a plus
March - Interviews & Orientation May
- Professional development opportunities
June - August
- Attending and documenting programming: June 22nd - July 31st Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm select hours within this timeframe (5-10hrs/week)
- Attending and documenting Culminating Exhibition: July 31st 9am - 5pm
- Post-Production August 1st - 15th
APPLY AT: tinyurl.com/artseedycsmedia
OVERALL TIME COMMITMENT: May 15th - August 15th, 2020
PROJECT BUDGET: $3,000
- documentary film (15 minutes)
- 5-minute clips (3)
- 30-second social media worthy clips (5)