Digital Design & Engagement Assistant
** This is a job in the Chicago arts & international narrative audio storytelling industry, and we invite folks from all intersections of the arts to consider this position **
Deadline to apply: EOD, Tuesday, July 21
POSITION TITLE: Digital Design & Engagement Assistant (Remote / Part-time / Temporary)
REPORTS TO: Program Director
COMPENSATION: $20 per hour
DATE: August - mid November 2020 (Starting at an average of 2 days per week / 8 hours per day; possibility of extended or variable hours leading up to specific fall programs, including on the weekends, given advance notice.)
Third Coast is a community-driven, intersectional, independent arts non-profit committed to audio storytelling as an art form and to the diverse communities of people who make the work and push forward the medium. We invite makers and listeners alike to participate in conversations about storytelling, perspective, craft, audience and structure, and use these opportunities to raise the voices of those historically left out of the conversation: BIPOC, women, LGBTQIA-identified, and folx living with disabilities. Since our founding two decades ago, we have supported media makers by recognizing talent, igniting innovation, curating exceptional audio pieces, and bringing the best work of all styles to local and worldwide audiences. Every day, we commit to the work of becoming an anti-racist institution and to create radical spaces of inclusion, collaboration, and experimentation we believe are most critical to this industry.
Third Coast seeks a remote, part-time, temporary Digital Design & Engagement Assistant to support our Fall 2020 programming by assisting in the creation of, and spearheading the maintenance of, a website dedicated to digital programming; developing and monitoring digital tools for audience engagement; and supporting the technical logistics of programming in all its forms. (Note that Third Coast will continue to be operating remotely for the duration of the job; no commuting nor travel will be required.)
The Design & Engagement Assistant will assist Third Coast staff in building the tools of digital programming and engagement, focusing on technical aspects, digital tools, and audience engagement. We are looking for a web- and media-savvy candidate who can help us build digital tools for our programs, from the ground up: starting with working directly with staff to execute a vision for a new digital programming website. (Note: We do not need a web developer, but must have CMS familiarity.) We will also work with the Assistant to generate materials for digital advertising and social media, and to assist in the technical and logistical aspects of programming this fall.
While there might be the occasional production opportunity associated with this job, this position is better suited for candidates with a passion for audio storytelling who are specifically looking to grow their skills as an arts administrator in web design, digital programming & community-building, graphic design, and event production.
- Manage, update, and contribute to editorial content and visual design elements on Third Coast’s digital programming website
Troubleshoot website and ticket management platforms
- Assist in digital marketing through creating visual assets, identifying audiences, and promoting digital programs on social media
- Engage with community as a liaison for ticket sales, identifying and working with audiences to solve problems, and assisting in managing platforms for audience engagement
- Assist in running tech for live digital programs, including recording and archiving programs
Contribute feedback on programming, and work with the Third Coast team in a highly collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated past experience working with a CMS like: Squarespace, WordPress, Wix, etc. and familiarity with basic web development skills and tools; more web development experience is a plus!
- Demonstrated experience in a customer-service, community organizing, or community development role
- Proficiency in Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Drive), as well as social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) required
- Familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite or similar design software is very useful but not required
- Excellent organizational and/or project management
- A good communicator and a team player
- A creative self-starter
At Third Coast, we are looking for someone who centers equity and inclusion in their life and work, and especially in their approach to making and supporting art, makers, and their community. We seek a candidate who thinks critically about accessibility, representation, and intersectionality as part of a toolbox of strategies for transformative change. This is an unusual year at Third Coast, so we are also looking for someone ready to dive into digital event production, who is adaptable and flexible to quickly changing situations, and who takes unexpected challenges in stride.
How to apply
By EOD, July 21st, please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org as a single PDF, with the subject line: 2020DigitalDesign_(LASTNAME)
- A Google Doc containing answers to our Digital Programming Questions (click here!) (no more than 500 words per answer).
- 3-5 work samples
Finalists will be interviewed by Third Coast staff the week of July 27, and will be hired by the end of July.
Third Coast is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and actively seeks diversity in its organizational culture and team members. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, status as an individual with disability, age, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law. If you require further accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs. BIPOC are highly encouraged to apply.