About Free Street Theater:
Since 1969, Free Street has been at the forefront of the movement to create affordable, inclusive, and innovative theater in communities across Chicago. Today, Free Street is a multiracial and multigenerational theater company with a focus on original performance that explores the issues impacting our city and a strong commitment to economic accessibility. We offer all of our shows for free/pay-what-you-can, and we try to make theater accessible for families with small children by offering free co-programming for children during rehearsals and shows. Whenever possible, we caption our shows and are actively growing our ability to support diverse accessibility needs. We offer free classes, training, and make space available to artists developing new work.
Free Street is hiring a part-time Development Manager with an expertise in individual giving ($25/hr, 10 hrs/week). The Development Manager will lead FST’s individual giving activities by co-crafting and overseeing our fundraising campaign “Get On the Bus: $57k for 57 Blocks”, which seeks to increase both individual donations, monthly donors, and season sponsors until the end of the calendar year. The ideal candidate has excellent organizational and communications skills, works well in a remote work environment, is willing to work flexibly (including some evenings and weekends, as programming determines), is comfortable engaging with multiple stakeholder groups, and has demonstrated experience leading individual giving campaigns. Experience working in theater or the arts sector is not required, though an arts, community engagement, and storytelling background is a plus. Deep roots and/or connections in Chicago and Bilingual Spanish/English are a plus. In lieu of a cover letter and resume, we ask interested candidates to fill out this short form.
(75% of Job):
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, provides vision and leadership for all aspects of FST’s individual giving program which includes a comprehensive strategy targeting short- and long-term giving goals
- Develops an individual giving strategy that aligns with Free Street’s artistic programming, goals, ethos, and mission
- Builds and maintains relationships between Free Street and business leaders, major donors, individuals, and other potential funder prospects and works with FST staff and leadership to identify relevant cultivation activities
- Collaborates with the Free Street team to develop relevant messaging for all communications and collateral materials related to the campaign
- I collaboration with the FST team, develops the appropriate print materials (brochures, promotional materials, appeals and online content) to support every aspect of the individual giving plan
- Lead research efforts related to trends in the field and apply findings to plans and strategies
- Identify and presents strategies for long-term individual giving at Free Street
Staff Assistance: (25% of job)
- Attends FST’s standing staff meetings
- Provides support to FST’s board of directors as requested
- Assists with Communications tasks as requested
- Assists with Administrative tasks as requested