The Development Director of Deeply Rooted Productions (DRP) serves on the Executive Team with the Artistic Director, Creative Director, Finance Director, Operations Director and Board Chair to provide leadership and cultivate the artists, staff, Board, and community to realize the organization’s mission, vision, and values. DRP is evolving, and the anticipated changes will require innovation, efficiency, and flexibility of the Development Director.
POSITION AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Development Director will be responsible for providing oversight and management of the organization’s development functions. The Development Director works with the Executive Team to develop and implement the strategic plan, and works closely with the Board of Directors to ensure fiscal health. The Development Director, Artistic Director, Operations Director and Creative Director are jointly responsible for realizing DRP’s goals for artistic excellence, diversified and authentic creativity, fiscal viability, arts leadership cultivation, and community and relationship building. Within this partnership, the Development Director is charged with executing the Artistic Director and Creative Director’s artistic vision into initiatives that energize staff, artists, and the community.
The Development Director provides direction and oversight to the organization’s development staff and consultants (i.e.; Leadership Consultant, Fundraising Consultants, Individual Giving Manager, Marketing Consultant, Press and Media Consultant, and Grant Writer).
Shared Executive Leadership (50%)
• Work with the Executive Team and Consultants to implement the fund development
• Develop and implement donor and board cultivation functions.
• Work to grow the Board through Board cultivation and recruitment.
Fundraising, Marketing, and External Relations (50%)
• Direct and expand individual donor cultivation as well as institutional fundraising with foundations, corporations, and government agencies
• Act as organization’s spokesperson when appropriate
• With the Artistic Director, Creative Director, Marketing Director, Operations Director and
• Marketing Manager, ensure consistent branding; and develop and execute marketing strategies
WORKS WITH: Executive Team, Development Team, Finance Director
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
QUALIFICATIONS The ideal candidate will:
• Combine demonstrated business acumen with creative and collaborative leadership
• Have strong interest and experience in nonprofit arts management
• Be an effective and inspiring communicator
• Be highly organized
• Be dedicated to coaching and nurturing emerging arts leaders
• Be open to managerial innovation and learning
• Minimum 3 years of management/team leadership experience in a nonprofit arts organization of a similar size
• Demonstrated experience in development, fundraising, institution and individual donor cultivation and financial reporting
• Experience writing grants on a local, regional, and national level
• Demonstrated track record as an effective supervisor, including nurturing talents, providing actionable feedback, leading by example, and approaching challenges honestly and creatively
• Experience working with a Board and/or Board committees
Other desired qualifications:
• Innate love and value for contemporary dance, especially African-American traditions in dance and cultural and historic perspectives that supports those traditions
• High-level project management skills • Ability to read and understand lengthy, detailed grant applications, proposals and contracts
• Proficiency with Quickbooks, Google Docs, MailChimp, Salesforce, and Kindful
Commensurate with experience for an organization of DRP’s size, this is a full-time contractor position with flexible hours, comp-time, paid vacation, and sick leave.
contractor position with flexible hours, comp-time, paid vacation, and sick leave. APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Please email your resume and a cover letter to the email in this listing by June 30, 2022. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. The search committee intends to make its decision by or before July 15, 2022, with the intent that the Development Director will begin work on or before July 22, 2022. No phone calls, please. Please send email to email@example.com. DRP will acknowledge receipt of applications via email.