Development Communications Copywriter
JOB TITLE: Development Communications Copywriter
LOCATION: 170 N. Dearborn St.
REPORTING TO: Senior Director of Institutional Giving and Development Operations
SALARY RANGE: $35-38K
Join the dynamic team of arts professionals at the Goodman Theatre! Chicago’s theater since 1925, Goodman Theatre is a not-for-profit arts and community organization in the heart of the Loop, distinguished by the excellence and scope of its artistic programming and community engagement. The theater’s artistic priorities include new play development (more than 150 world or American premieres), large scale musical theater works and reimagined classics. As a cultural and community organization, Goodman Theatre is committed to using the art of theater for a better Chicago. Using the tools of the theatrical profession, the Goodman’s Education and Engagement programs aim to develop generations of citizens who understand the cultures and stories of diverse voices.
We at Goodman Theatre are storytellers who believe that a diversity of people, ideas and cultures in our organization enriches both the art on stage and our civic engagement. In our workplace, we strive to reflect the communities we serve, and make space in which each individual is empowered to bring their full, authentic self to work. The Goodman values equity, diversity and inclusion and is committed to approaching our work through the practice of anti-racism. The inclusion of difference(s) such as ability, age, background, beliefs, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, race, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status and all other identities represented across staff, board, artists and audiences help make us better equipped to live these values—on stage and off. Learn more at GoodmanTheatre.org/Accountability
The Development Communications Copywriter, serves as a copywriter for the Development Department. Working in collaboration and reporting to the Sr. Director of Institutional Giving, this position is responsible for generating copy and coordinating edits for department-wide fundraising projects, supporting and occasionally taking the lead on the preparation of grant and sponsorship proposals and reports, and managing recognition and acknowledgements for institutional donors. The ideal candidate will be a versatile writer, editor and proofreader as well as an expert multi-tasker with excellent organizational skills.
- Serve as the Goodman’s Development copywriter, copyeditor and proofreader
- Work with Goodman Communications and Marketing teams to coordinate consistent voice and talking points across the organization
- Work with Coordinator of Stewardship and Community Engagement Events to coordinate timelines and graphic design projects on department-wide communications projects
- Generate content for informational brochures, annual fund letters, the website, spoken remarks at Development events and activities, and other collateral about the theater and Development programs. Gather and coordinate feedback and edits from across the team.
- Assist in the preparation and proofing of supplemental materials for pitches and proposals, including benefits summaries, proposal attachments and other supporting information
- Take the lead on occasional grant writing projects including sponsorship applications, reports, letters of intent and grant proposals
- Manage recognition for institutional sponsors and donors, including donor salutes, appropriate credit lines and accurate listings in publications, Playbill, website, e-communications, etc.
- Draft acknowledgement templates for use across the department. Customize where appropriate for corporate and foundation funders.
- Work within Development and with other departments to help compile data and maintain information for funders on topics including productions and programs, IDEAA initiatives, education and engagement initiatives, audience demographics, etc.
- Working in tandem with other staffers, develop and edit content for Backstage Board Briefings, a monthly e-newsletter for the Goodman Boards, as well as bimonthly newsletters for the Goodman Business Council
- Maintain Institutional records in Tessitura as well as electronic and paper files
- As a member of the Development Department, support events, meetings and stewardship activities
- Other Duties as Assigned
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Proven track record of persuasive writing experience, ideally in grantwriting, sponsorships or other fundraising area
- Excellent writing, editing, copyediting and proofreading skills
- 2-5 years of work experience in related area
- Ability to work on several projects simultaneously and consistently meet deadlines
- Ability to give and receive feedback respectfully and collegially; team player who is collaborative, flexible and able to work independently
- Computer Skills: Microsoft Office Suite and Tessitura Database or other CMS experience a plus
- Strong interpersonal skills
Goodman Theatre offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, paid vacation, sick leave, and 401K.
Goodman Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. By dedicating itself to three guiding principles—quality, diversity and community— the Goodman Theatre seeks to be the premier cultural organization in Chicago, providing productions and programs that make an essential contribution to the quality of life in our city.
The Goodman requires proof of full vaccination. New employees who are not fully vaccinated as of the date of hire are required to be fully vaccinated within 45 days of hire and provide twice-weekly proof of a negative COVID-19 test prior to being fully vaccinated. Further details will be provided upon hire.
The Goodman is an inclusive and accessible employer. Successful candidates will have experience working with diverse groups of people and will demonstrate a deep commitment to advancing equity and inclusion at the Goodman Theatre.