Position: Development Associate
Reports to: Vice President, Development
Classification: Full-time, exempt
For 65 years, Chicago Children’s Choir (CCC) has worked to empower and unite youth from diverse backgrounds to find their voice and celebrate their common humanity through the power of music. What began as a small choir in Hyde Park born in the midst of the Civil Rights Movement to foster racial understanding has since grown into a nonprofit with an international footprint that is Chicago’s premier arts education and performing organization. CCC serves young people ages 8 through 18 from every zip code of Chicago through a vast network of school and after-school programs.
CCC provides transformative programs through partnerships with over 70 schools, 12 community-based after-school music programs, Dimension, an ensemble for singers with changing or changed voices, and the world-renowned Voice of Chicago ensemble. As a national and international touring ensemble, CCC has performed for dignitaries such as former President Barack Obama, Nelson Mandela and former Chinese President Hu Jintao and with artists such as Chance the Rapper, Yo-Yo Ma, Andrea Bocelli, Beyoncé and Celine Dion.
CCC is a civic treasure and model for culturally responsive music education. More than 75% of youth access its programming free of charge and 100% of high school seniors graduate.
As a key member of the development team, the Development Associate will provide support for fundraising activity that meets CCC’s goal of significantly growing philanthropic support aligned with the Choir’s new strategic plan. This person will report to the Vice President, Development and work closely with the full development team as well as colleagues in programs and marketing. The Development Associate will manage development communications, play a key role in event management, provide departmental support, and support engagement with CCC alumni.
Development Communications and Operations
● Work with Associate Director of Individual Giving to set strategy for executing CCC's Annual Campaign and project manage communications with key stakeholders
● Assist in preparation, logistics, and communications for development events
● Manage gift acknowledgements and other donor acknowledgement communications
● Field inquiries from donors regarding contributions, donor benefits and development related activities
● Maintain accurate and up-to-date donor information in database, including event participation
● Cultivate and steward donor relationships, attending events and helping the team as needed
● Coordinate parent and corporate volunteers at concerts and events
● Work with Manager of Special Events to set strategy around engaging Alumni in meaningful CCC activities and project manage alumni communications
● Execute engagement activities for past participants of the Choir with a goal to foster alumni as advocates of the organization and grow philanthropic support from this community
● Support CCC's ability to communicate regularly with alumni through well-maintained and augmented data
Ideal candidates for the Development Associate role will possess the following skills and attributes:
● Bachelors' degree in relevant discipline
● 1-4 years experience in a non-profit or arts-related setting
● Outstanding oral and written communication skills
● Superior customer service
● Experience or interest in the arts, preferably music
● Passion for the CCC mission and program
● Committed to an equitable and inclusive community
● Committed to open and honest communication
● Salesforce experience or other CRM knowledge
● Builds strong, collaborative relationships with fellow staff, Board members, and donors alike
● Detailed oriented and take pride in creating and participating in efficient processes
● Excited about digging into data, fearless and has a "can-do" attitude
● Is a planner, a list-maker, an organizational aficionado
● Flexibility to work after regular office hours for concerts and events
“OTR” LIFE EXPERIENCE: We know that many of your most character-building experiences — where resilience, grit and grace were required to persevere — do not show up neatly on a resume. So, we want to hear some of those “OTR” (“off the resume”) moments for you. In order to be on the CCC team, EQ (Emotional Intelligence) is not a nice to-have...it’s a must. So, show us your EQ.
A NOT-SO-FUN FACT: We know research tells us that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and people of color tend to only apply when they feel they’ve checked every single box. If you are unsure that you’ve checked every box above, but you think you have what it takes to enhance the CCC as we grow our team, we want to hear from you.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Competitive salary with benefits for full-time employees including paid vacation, medical, dental and life insurance, as well as tax-deferred retirement plan.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Chicago Children’s Choir is an equal opportunity employer that actively pursues candidates of diverse backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to providing diversity, equity, and inclusion training to all employees, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnicity, nationality or national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy status, marital status, age, medical condition, disability, or veteran status in admission or access to, or employment in, its programs and activities.