Job Title: Development Assistant (Temporarily Remote)
Job Status: Non-exempt full-time hourly position with benefits
Salary: $16 to $18 per hour, based on experience
Reports to: Director of Development
If you are hired as the Development Assistant, you will be an integral part of TimeLine’s Development team, responsible for all aspects of gift processing and acknowledgment, as well as providing logistical and administrative support for all fundraising initiatives. Responsibilities include preparation of correspondence and other communications, providing excellent customer service to donors, maintaining accurate donor records, managing donor lists and mailings, coordination of special events, and monthly reconciliation of Development records with Accounting.
Hours are typically 10AM-6PM, Monday through Friday, with adjustments available. Attendance at regular evening events is required.
TimeLine Theatre Company, recipient of the 2016 MacArthur Award for Creative and Effective Institutions, is a Chicago not-for-profit theatre company with an annual operating budget of approximately $2 million. In December 2018, TimeLine announced the purchase of property located at 5033–5035 North Broadway Avenue in Chicago’s Uptown neighborhood. This historic building and neighborhood will be the site of our future home.
Through 23 seasons dedicated to presenting stories that explore today’s social and political issues through the lens of the past, TimeLine’s stage has featured countless facets of that mission. From LGBTQIA+ experiences (The Normal Heart, Boy) to Jewish experiences (A Shayna Maidel, My Name is Asher Lev) to issues of cultures intersecting and intertwining (Chimerica, A Disappearing Number, A Walk in the Woods), TimeLine’s rich production history highlights a mix of perspectives. Our 2019-2020 season investigated issues of peace, humanity, legacy, and family in Oslo and Rutherford and Son. We dug deeper into those themes and more with the Chicago Premiere of James Ijames’ Kill Move Paradise directed by Wardell Julius Clark. Recent virtual public programs included an exploration of the historical roots of Black Lives Matter via Tyla Abercrumbie’s Relentless directed by Ron OJ Parson.
TimeLine’s Core Values:
- COLLABORATIVE: Valuing teamwork as a creative force
- EXCEPTIONAL: Exemplifying excellence and innovation in everything we do
- FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE: Managing resources effectively and appropriately
- INCLUSIVE: Embracing diversity in all its forms
- INTIMATE: Creating a close connection between art and audience
- RESPECTFUL: Listening and being open to everyone’s perspective
- HEALTHY & SAFE: Ensuring a clean environment and nurturing wellness
- Promptly and accurately process and acknowledge all donations using PatronManager database and other tracking systems
- Maintain donor files and database: adding new constituents, updating constituent records, creating reports, extracting mailing lists, and auditing records to maintain data integrity
- Assist with department mailings
- Maintain necessary resource materials pertinent to grant and sponsorship activities, including commonly requested data
- Maintain department expense budget
- Reconcile donor database disbursement reports against Accounting records
DONOR RELATIONS & SPECIAL EVENTS
- Assist with preparation and logistics for meetings of the Board of Directors and its committees, including tracking attendance and taking minutes
- Act as a primary source of information for all donors and ticket concierge for major donors
- Develop and ensure the accuracy of all donor recognition lists, including event and show programs
- Assist with the planning and implementation of event logistics, including preparation of invitation lists, printing and mailing invitations, and managing replies and other administrative needs for each event
- Develop high-quality written correspondence to support department programs and activities
- Participate in weekly Operations and Staff meetings
- Support and actively engage in advancing the mission, vision, values, and strategic goals of TimeLine Theatre
- Collaborate with Development team to perform other duties, as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Outstanding organizational skills, attention to detail, follow-through, and accuracy
- Proven ability to be self-motivated, assume responsibility, and take initiative
- Comfortable working independently and as part of a team
- Strong customer service orientation and an ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Ability to maintain a calm, professional demeanor in all situations
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word and Excel) and Google Office Suite preferred
- Familiarity with PatronManager (Salesforce), a comparable CRM platform or relational database a plus
Physical Demands and Work Environment
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets. While we are working remotely, you will be required to use Zoom conferencing software and other teleconferencing equipment to check-in with supervisors and the rest of the team. A personal internet service connection will be required; all other equipment to enable remote work will be provided.
During event preparation, set-up, and break down Development staff is occasionally asked to lift up to 20 pounds.
HOW TO APPLY
It is an essential practice of TimeLine Theatre Company to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals, based upon personal capabilities and qualifications and without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national origin or ancestry, marital status, citizenship, disability, military status, creed, or any other trait or characteristic protected by law. TimeLine Theatre Company is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse staff and an inclusive work environment. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to policies and procedures relating to all terms and conditions of employment at TimeLine Theatre.
All interested and qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume no later than Monday, December 31, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Development Assistant,” or via mail to Human Resources, TimeLine Theatre Company, ATTN: Development Department, PO Box 577220, Chicago, IL 60657. No phone calls, please.