Dance Department Leader
Viking Gymnastics & Dance seeks an energetic, creative, and reliable person to lead our Dance Department. Viking is a family-oriented company seeking talented individuals who share our passion for working with children to make a lasting, positive impact. We strive to have a collaborative staff that is both technically strong and believes in teaching life-long lessons through positive reinforcement.
Our growing dance program is entering its 7th season with over 500 students, offering classes for children ages 3-18. Dance genres include Ballet, Contemporary/Lyrical, Hip Hop, Jazz, Tap, Pre-pointe, and Pointe. The Viking Dance program boasts strong family-friendly values, adhering strongly to age-appropriate choreography, music, and costuming. The class schedule runs July-June, culminating in our annual recital. We also offer a wide variety of dance camps and workshops throughout the year.
This is a full-time position that requires evening and weekend availability, as well as a flexible schedule. In addition to handling administrative responsibilities, the Dance Department Leader will teach class shifts and work with our competitive team.
The ideal candidate has previous experience in arts administration, a vested interest in dance pedagogy, and exceptional leadership/mentorship qualities. Priority will be given to candidates with relevant dance experience and matching availability, in addition to demonstrated skill and artistry in composition and instruction. We offer comprehensive onboard training, continued mentorship, and peer support.
Job Responsibilities (Include, but are not limited to):
- Oversee and mentor dance staff, including training and class observations
- Screen, interview, and audition candidates for positions as needed
- Devise yearly dance class schedule and staff scheduling
- Plan and oversee recitals/performances
- Track enrollment trends, new student onboarding process, and follow-ups
- Coordinate and attend community performances, special events, and promotional events
- Plan workshops, day camps, and theme weeks
- Ability to sub any genre, level, or age group, especially in emergency situations
- Oversee leveling placement and update curriculum
- Order dance merchandise, apparel, and recital costumes
- Daily studio upkeep
- Address client concerns in a diplomatic and professional manner
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- 5+ years of studio/community arts program teaching or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of choreography or performance experience
- 2 years experience in arts administration or equivalent administrative experience, as well as experience leading others.
- Familiarity with G Suite, Canva, and JackRabbit is preferred, but not required
- Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills with an adept ability to pivot and prioritize
- Clear communication skills and leadership/mentorship of other instructors, staff, families, and dancers. Team player in a collaborative environment
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Articulate and knowledgeable in Functional Anatomy and dance terminology in relation to technical training
- Strong classroom and time management skills, with the ability to mentor staff in both areas
- Continual learner and receptive to feedback with a growth-focused and forward-thinking mindset to further the development and success of the dance program
All candidates must complete an employment application. Please provide immediate availability through the summer of 2024.
For optimal consideration, please ensure resume experience highlights dance training or previous teaching/arts administrative experience. Links to supplemental choreography videos or teaching class excerpts are encouraged.
Viking offers competitive pay, paid personal time off, birthday pay, simple IRA + company match, employee discounts, referral programs, and flexible schedules. Full-time employees (30+ hours) are also eligible for dental, vision, long-term disability, and health insurance.
Viking Gymnastics, LTD is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $60,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Niles, IL 60714: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Studio/community arts program teaching: 5 years (Required)
- Choreography or performance: 5 years (Required)
- Arts administration or equivalent administrative: 2 years (Required)
Work Location: In person