Chicago Shakespeare Theater's Custodial Assistant is responsible for the overall cleanliness of the building/theaters for all artists, employees, and patrons. This position has responsibilities that are occasionally in proximity to the public and or direct interaction with the public.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Drives IDEA to Action platform by engaging in committees, events, training and other initiatives as needed.
- Models CST’s core values of service, ingenuity, and collaboration as well as its customer service ethos.
- Champions the organization’s commitment to a respectful, inclusive and equitable workplace.
- Keep Chicago Shakespeare’s facilities in clean and orderly condition.
- Scrub, sanitize, and restock restrooms.
- Clean rugs, upholstery, vinyl floor, carpets, etc.
- Clean walls, ceilings, woodwork, windows, doors, and other surfaces.
- Remove trash and recycling to outside compactors.
- Respond promptly to calls and requests on radio equipment.
- Perform additional tasks as assigned, or in general service to the company.
- Set-up and breakdown chairs, tables, and equipment for meetings and events.
- Replace light bulbs and complete light maintenance tasks.
- Receive deliveries and help unload and distribute.
- Assist with removal and installation of theater seats.
- Report observed security, maintenance, or cleaning issues to management.
- Perform opening and closing procedures for building.
- Service, ingenuity, and collaboration
- Emotional intelligence
- Prior custodial experience preferred.
- Ability to be punctual and work flexible schedules including weekends.
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to cooperate and collaborate with others.
- Effective communication skills, including proper use of radio equipment.
- Ability to stay balanced under pressure and adjust to the unexpected.
- Ability to adapt to change quickly and nimbly.
- Work hours are generally either 7am – 3pm or 3pm – 11pm, five days a week.
- Weekend hours will be necessary.
- Worksite is primarily at the CST facilities on Navy Pier in Chicago, IL but will at times work in other locations such as the CST Warehouse, and other venues.
- Will regularly be required to wear PPE during work activities
- Capable of performing physical tasks including but not limited to climbing, stooping, pushing, bending, kneeling, reaching, lifting, and moving up to 40lbs.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Proven problem-solving skills.
- Able to read and write.
- Knowledge of proper use of cleaning equipment and chemicals.
- Experience with floor care machines preferred but not required.
- Knowledge and ability in the operation of tools preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of common industry practices including safety standards.
- Previous custodial experience with an arts organization preferred.
ADDITIONAL ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 which means 14 days has passed since obtaining 2 doses of a primary series with Pfizer, Moderna, or Novavax or a single dose of Johnson & Johnson. Proof of vaccination must be provided before beginning work with Chicago Shakespeare Theater or a request for a qualifying exemption must be submitted and approved prior to beginning work.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION STATEMENT
CST is dedicated to increasing equity, diversity and inclusion in our audiences, our programs and in all our hiring for staff and artists. We are committed to providing a work environment that is free from discrimination. CST prohibits discrimination in employment against any employee or job applicant because of that person’s race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, familial status, veteran status, status with regard to public assistance, membership in a local human rights commission or any other legally protected status.