Creative Reuse Warehouse Team Member
Join our team of artists, educators and resourceful eco-citizens!
The Creative Chicago Reuse Exchange (CCRx) is looking for a friendly, energetic and creative Team Member to fill a part-time position overseeing daily operations at our creative reuse center and manage our ever-changing online “Special Finds” inventory.
CCRx is an emerging nonprofit organization that provides donated surplus materials, supplies and equipment to Chicago teachers and nonprofits, and fosters creativity and sustainability through creative reuse programs, products and events. We believe that trash is just a failure of imagination!
The CCRx Warehouse is located at 2124 W. 82nd Place, on the Southwest side of Chicago. We share space and collaborate with Envision Unlimited, a nonprofit serving adults with disabilities in a structured workshop environment.
CCRx Team Members and volunteers accept a wide range of donations -- from lab equipment to astroturf to crayons -- and sort, stock, display, and manage inventory so it can find a new home. They help Teachers and representatives from non-profit organizations “shop” and sometimes “reimagine” the materials they need. Team Members are responsible for opening/closing, sales and donation transactions, clean-up (trash and recycling), and working with volunteers, among other duties.
CCRx Special Finds are items that need special prices -- usually technology, equipment, fancy new things, interesting old things, complete sets. Team Members test, clean, photograph, research, write descriptions, price and upload them to our online store.
Team Member duties include, but are not limited to:
- Greet and assist Donors, Teachers + Nonprofit “shoppers” at the warehouse
- Manage Volunteers on site, assign and oversee tasks
- Receive and process donations on site
- Maintain online inventory of Special Finds listings on Wix app
- Manage sales, appointments, and order fulfillment using Wix app
- Collaborate and communicate with CCRx Team on workflow and priorities
- Engage with Envision Unlimited staff and members via tasks and activities
- Participate in community outreach and special events
- Be an ambassador for CCRx in the Chicago community.
- Candidates should:
- Have a passion for CCRx’s creative reuse mission
- Be a Team player with strong work ethic, superior leadership skills and judgment.
- Be organized, reliable, self-directed, with a high degree of integrity, and time-management skills
- Be comfortable and proactive in written and verbal communication with multiple types of people online and in person.
- Be a problem-solver, action-taker, paying attention to details and the big picture
- Be curious, kind and have a sense of humor.
Reliable transportation to and from the warehouse (CTA service varies)
A valid Driver’s License and good driving record.
Physical mobility, including lifting, lowering, sliding donated materials up to 50 pounds as well as using a dolly or pallet jack with skids, loading or unloading trucks.
Computer skills: Word processing and spreadsheets in Microsoft and Google Suites.
A smartphone that can be used for warehouse work.
Familiarity with or willingness to learn Wix inventory/website platform
Undergo a background check in accordance with state guidelines.
Preference will be given to individuals who:
- Have a demonstrated commitment to environmentally responsible practices
- Have retail and/or e-commerce experience, ideally in a reuse/resale setting and in a variety of departments and products: books, fabric, art/crafts, electronics, hardware, etc.
- Have 2-3 years of experience in a managerial role.
- Are handy with equipment + tech, such as computers, A/V, printers, cameras, etc.
- Are knowledgeable/experienced as Educators, Artists, and/or Makers.
- Demonstrate active Social Media engagement around any of these topics.
- Have familiarity with neighborhood assets on Chicago’s South and West sides and surrounding communities
- This position starts at 12 – 15 hours/week on Thursday + Friday afternoons and Saturdays. Additional hours, evenings, and special events will come up. Pay starts at $15/hour + generous material allowance. No other benefits currently available. This position provides an opportunity to grow with the organization.
CCRx is an equal opportunity employer. CCRx is committed to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic team.
To Apply: Email a letter of interest and resume in PDF format to Barbara Koenen, Executive Director. Infoemail@example.com
Application Deadline is April 12. Interviews scheduled early-mid April. Job starts mid-April.