Creative Reuse Team Member
Join our team of artists, educators and resourceful eco-citizens!
The Creative Chicago Reuse Exchange (CCRx) is hiring a Creative Reuse Warehouse Team Member.
This is a part-time contractor, 12 – 24 hours / week (Wednesday through Saturday), making $15/hour plus a monthly material allowance.
We need a friendly, energetic and creative Team Member to help oversee daily operations at our creative reuse warehouse, located at 2124 W. 82nd Place in the Auburn Gresham neighborhood of Chicago.
CCRx is a nonprofit organization that provides donated surplus materials, supplies and equipment to Chicago teachers and nonprofits, and fosters creativity and sustainability through creative reuse programs, products and events. We believe that trash is just a failure of imagination!
The CCRx Warehouse is in the Envision Unlimited Frick Center. Envision is a nonprofit serving adults with developmental disabilities in a structured workshop environment. The Frick Center houses one of Envision's day programs and we provide materials and activities for their members.
CCRx accepts a wide range of donations -- from office supplies to art supplies to science and sports equipment -- and everything needs to be sorted, stocked, and displayed so it can find a new home.
CCRx Warehouse Team Members sort donations, help shoppers find and Teachers and sometimes “reimagine” the materials they need. That’s the creative reuse part! CCRx Warehouse Team Members are responsible for opening/closing, sales and donation transactions, inventory and display, clean-up (trash and recycling), working with volunteers and Envision members. It is busy and always interesting.
We are especially looking for Team members who have interest in creative reuse, education / teaching experience, arts/crafts, sewing, and who like organizing and sorting.
Team Member duties may include, but are not limited to:
● Greet and assist Donors, Teachers + Nonprofit “shoppers” at the warehouse
● Manage Volunteers on site, assign and oversee tasks
● Receive and process donations on site -- sometimes heavy boxes + skids
● Manage sales, appointments, and order fulfillment using Wix app
● Collaborate and communicate with CCRx Team on workflow and priorities
● Engage with Envision Unlimited staff and members via tasks and activities
● Participate in community outreach and special events
● Be an ambassador for CCRx in the Chicago community.
● Have a passion for creative reuse
● Be a team player with strong work ethic, a high degree of integrity, and good judgment.
● Be reliable, self-directed, with good time-management skills
● Love organizing!
● Be comfortable and proactive in written and verbal communication with multiple types of people online and in person.
● Be a problem-solver, action-taker, paying attention to details and the big picture
● Be curious, kind and have a sense of humor.
● Reliable transportation to and from the warehouse (CTA service varies)
● Physical mobility, including lifting, lowering, sliding donated materials up to 50 pounds as well as using a dolly or pallet jack with skids, loading or unloading trucks.
● Computer skills: Word processing and spreadsheets in Microsoft and Google Suites.
● A smartphone that can be used for warehouse work.
● Familiarity with or willingness to learn Wix inventory/website platform
● Undergo a background check in accordance with state guidelines.
Preference will be given to individuals who have:
● Experience as Educators, Artists, Makers and/or Fixers
● Retail and/or e-commerce experience, ideally in a reuse/resale and/or with books, fabric, art/crafts, electronics, hardware, etc.
● Experience in a managerial role.
● Familiarity with neighborhood assets on Chicago’s South and West sides
● A valid Driver’s License and good driving record.
This position starts at 12 – 24 hours/week from Wednesdays through Saturdays. Additional hours, evenings, and special events will come up. Pay starts at $15/hour + generous material allowance. No other benefits currently available. This position provides an opportunity to grow with the organization.
CCRx is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic team.
To Apply: Send an email saying why you are interested and what skills / interests you can bring to the position. Include a resume if possible. Email this to Barbara Koenen, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Please note: Applicants are asked to volunteer one session prior to hiring to facilitate understanding of work flow and warehouse tasks. You can book a volunteer appointment at www.creativechirx.org/book-online.
Let us know when you are coming so we can look out for you!