Creative Reuse Warehouse Team Member
15-20 hours / week at our Creative Reuse Warehouse on the SW side. (Wednesday, Thursday + Saturday). Starting $15.50/hour + generous material allowance.
Join our team of artists, educators and resourceful eco-citizens!
The Creative Chicago Reuse Exchange (CCRx) seeks a friendly, energetic and creative Team Member to fill a part-time position overseeing daily operations at our creative reuse warehouse.
CCRx is a nonprofit organization that takes in donated surplus materials, supplies and equipment for Chicago teachers, artists and nonprofits. We foster creativity and sustainability through creative reuse programs, products and events. We believe that trash is just a failure of imagination!
The CCRx Warehouse is located at 2124 W. 82nd Place, in the Envision Unlimited Frick Center. Envision is a nonprofit serving adults with disabilities in a structured workshop environment, and we provide materials and activities for their members.
CCRx accepts a wide range of donations -- from office supplies to art supplies to science and sports equipment -- and everything needs to be sorted, stocked, and displayed so it can find a new home. This is done by Team Members, who also assist shoppers and sometimes “reimagine” the materials they need. That’s the creative part!
CCRx Warehouse Team Members are responsible for opening/closing, sales and donation transactions, inventory sorting and display, general clean-up (trash and recycling), and assisting with volunteers and Envision members. It is busy and always interesting. We are especially looking for Team members who have interest in creative reuse, education / teaching, arts/crafts, sewing, and who like organizing and sorting.
Team Member duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Greet and assist Donors, Teachers + Nonprofit “shoppers” at the warehouse
- Manage Volunteers on site, assign and oversee tasks
- Receive and process donations on site -- sometimes heavy boxes + skids
- Manage sales, appointments, and order fulfillment using Wix app
- Collaborate and communicate with CCRx Team on workflow and priorities
- Engage with Envision Unlimited staff and members via tasks and activities
- Participate in community outreach and special events
- Be an ambassador for CCRx in the Chicago community.
- Have a passion for creative reuse
- Be a team player with a strong work ethic, integrity, and good judgment.
- Be reliable, self-directed, with good time-management skills
- Love organizing! Love multi-tasking!
- Love interacting with all sorts of people!
- Be comfortable and proactive in written and verbal communication with multiple types of people online and in person.
- Be a problem-solver, action-taker, paying attention to details and the big picture
- Be curious, kind and have a sense of humor.
- Reliable transportation to and from the warehouse (CTA service varies)
- Physical mobility, including lifting, lowering, sliding donated materials up to 50 pounds as well as using a dolly or pallet jack with skids, loading or unloading trucks.
- Computer skills: Word processing and spreadsheets in Microsoft and Google Suites.
- A smartphone that can be used for warehouse work.
- Familiarity with or willingness to learn Wix inventory/website platform
- Undergo a background check in accordance with state guidelines.
Preference will be given to individuals who:
- Have a demonstrated commitment to environmentally responsible practices
- Have retail and/or e-commerce experience, ideally in a reuse/resale setting and/or with books, fabric, art/crafts, electronics, hardware, etc.
- Have experience in a managerial role.
- Are handy with equipment + tech and like to fix things.
- Are knowledgeable/experienced as Educators, Artists, Makers and/or Fixers
- Have familiarity with neighborhood assets on Chicago’s South and West sides
- Have a valid Driver’s License and good driving record.
- Are upbeat and supportive of others.
This position starts at 15-20 hours/week on Wednesday, Thursdays + Saturdays. There is some scheduling flexibility. Additional hours, evenings, and special events will come up and we want you to participate. Pay starts at $15.50/hour + generous material allowance. No other benefits currently available. This position provides an opportunity to grow with the organization. CCRx is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic team.
To Apply: Send an email describing your interest and what skills you can bring to CCRx. Please attach your resume. Email this to Barbara Koenen at email@example.com. ** Please note: Applicants will be asked to volunteer for one 3-hour session as part of the job interview to facilitate understanding of work flow and warehouse tasks. We will combine your interview with some volunteer tasks. You can book a volunteer appointment at www.creativechirx.org/book-online. Let us know when you are coming so we can look out for you!