Crater/Shipping dept. Associate | Troscan Design + Furnishings
Troscan operates from a 15500 square foot facility on Chicago’s West Side. In addition to an in-house team of woodworkers, finishers, and fabricators, we partner with local independent master craftspeople and expert rural workshops to realize our designs at the highest level. Between our relatively limited production runs and the attention to detail that can only be achieved through close collaboration among a small cadre of like-minded individuals, Troscan produces thoughtfully designed and exceptionally executed products of enduring value.
A well-run shop rides on the full engagement and well-being of every team member. At Troscan, we strive to maintain workplace practices that honor the talents of team members, ensure their safety, and acknowledge their roles in the process.
Craters work in the Troscan shipping department both individually and as a team to fabricate and construct custom packing materials and crates designed to protect fine furniture in shipment. The shipping associate also will be responsible for administrative tasks within the departments and local deliveries and pickups. Driver’s license required. Interested candidates should contact us and send a cover letter and resume for consideration.
Company: Troscan Design + Furnishings, 400 N Oakley, Chicago, IL 60612Department: Crating/ShippingPosition reports to Production Coordinator
Compensation: $18-21 Hourly based on experience (+ benefits post probationary period, including Vacation plus personal/sick hours and Health Insurance)
Status: Full Time, non-exempt
• Final inspection of all orders and document condition before crating
•Use table saw, and other power tools to fabricate crates for fine furniture that meet specifications of quality for shipment
• Shipping materials inventory. Request materials on time. Maintain and store all materials necessary to the shipping department.
• Keep work area clean and organized. Constantly improve your work area for efficiency.
• Assist other departments when needed. Help receive and store materials/components delivered to other departments.
• Maintain work order files in your department• Work both individually and as part of a team to accomplish projects.
• Communicate with our shipping vendors to ensure they are receiving the correct pieces.
• General shop maintenance tasks such as cleaning dust collector, finish room snow removal, and outside debris removal
• May be trained in certain furniture assembly tasks
• Excellent communicator. Clear and concise, not afraid to propose a solution to a problem, and a willingness to contribute.
• Someone with a strong initiative and thoughtful work ethic.
• Strong initiative with an adaptable attitude to respond to and take action with changing directives
• Diplomatic and professional demeanor, Able to take on a variety of tasks with a can-do attitude.Experience:
• 1-2 years minimum experience in carpentry, crate building, use of power tools, and/or fabrication.
• Working familiarity with basic hand tools, power tools, and equipment.
• 2-5 years work experience required; preferably in a similar fabrication setting or department.
• Forklift experience a plus
• Art handling experience a plus
• Excellent comprehension abilities-- Ability to read basic shop drawings and check dimensions as well as perform mathematical calculations and measurements.
• High attention to detail and strong organizational abilities.
• Excellent communication and comprehension skills; able to interpret detailed instructions.
• Good time management abilities; self-starter.
• Must be able to lift/move 50-70 lbs
• Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
• Must have good health/strength, and stamina.
• Schedule requires regular hours and availability (Monday through Thursday, 7:30 AM to 5:00 PM, Fridays, 7:30 AM to 11:30 AM). Overtime rare and scheduled in advance.