Costume Shop Manager
Lookingglass Theatre Company, a nationally recognized ensemble theatre company located in Chicago Illinois, seeks an experienced and enthusiastic Costume Shop Manager. Lookingglass Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetics, or status as an individual with a disability. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates.
The Costume Shop Manager supervises budgeting, construction and maintenance of Lookingglass’ 3-4 show season, as well as institutional projects. The Costume Shop Manager works with designers, directors and other LTC team members to ensure the safe realization of each production within budget, on time, and to the highest standards.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Management of Costume Shop and Costume Storage
- Produce documentation for the planning and execution of all necessary production aspects as well as developing and implementing plans for the organization’s long term growth
- Ensure the timely research, materials sourcing and completion of costumes and other production related items
- Hire stitchers, artisans, assistant costume shop manager, and design assistant as appropriate for each production keeping within the organization’s budgetary requirements
- Maintain and ensure the safety of the costume shop, all tools and equipment and conduct shop operations in accordance with the best practices for safety and efficiency
- Attend production meetings and technical rehearsals as needed
- Work with designers, directors and other team members to ensure the safe realization of each production within budget and to the highest standards
- Oversee and create production related paper work including, but not limited to a robust per show Costume Bible, written maintenance routines and budget tracking using Excel.
- Shopping/Sourcing/Assisting as needed
- Ensure timely repairs and supervise costume maintenance during production runs
- Support load ins and strikes of each production as needed
- Provide support for events such as Season Photos and Gglassquerade
- Support basic costume needs for yearly Young Ensemble performances
- Maintain Costume Stock
- Manage Costume rentals
- BA/BFA with emphasis in costume technology OR applicable real world experience
- Ability to climb stairs repeatedly
- Strong hand and machine sewing skills
- Experience as a design assistant or shop assistant
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- 3+ or more years of experience in a leadership position
- Good written and verbal communication
- Excellent time management skills
- Experience with dancewear or circus costume construction
This position is full-time exempt, with a salary range of $32,000-$35,000. Benefit package includes health insurance, generous vacation and paid holidays.
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and three references to Sarah Burnham at email@example.com. Please include COSTUME SHOP MANAGER in the subject line. Applications will be accepted through October 11, 2019. No phone calls please.