Community Programs Coordinator - South Side
Arts of Life, a 501C3 nonprofit, advances the creative arts community by providing artists with intellectual and developmental disabilities a collective space to expand their practice and strengthen their leadership. Founded in 2000, Arts of Life is realizing its vision of a professional, person-centric, artistic community that provides a work environment of equality. Today, we represent over 60 artists working in one of our two locations, in their homes, or through creative partnerships in the broader Metro-Chicago area.
The Community Program Coordinator works closely with the Program Director to ensure the successful expansion of Arts of Life’s services to Chicago’s South Side. . This position supports the development, implementation, supervision, and evaluation of new and existing Arts of life Services in new communities. This position plays a crucial role in the organization: building relationships with artists and community partners, delivering high-quality programming, and ensuring program improvements. They work closely with the Program Director to ensure all programs meet Arts of Life’s standards and implement our model.
- Artist Programming & Supports: Using AofL’s model and values, develop a broad range of art-based programs and adapt them to the specific needs of each community-based artist. Collaborate with the Programming Team to support artists in their homes and in groups in the community. As needed, facilitate and/or provide reliable and safe transportation for artists.
- AofL Culture: Develop a strong sense of belonging that emphasizes radical vulnerability and candor and promotes transparency and collaboration throughout your program.
- Artists Leadership: Ensure artists are key contributors to your program development by providing leadership opportunities and including them in critical relationships and decisions.
- Staff Leadership and Supervision: Prioritize staff retention by mentoring and empowering your team. Actively engaging in supervision, professional development, and day-to-day guidance as needed. Ensure your team is providing support based on the facilitation best practices.
- Steward Partnerships: Initiate and nurture strong partner relationships with community-based artists, organizations, and businesses, especially on Chicago’s South Side.
- Lead Community Based Programs: Support artists in the community by working with the programming team to develop a broad range of art-based programs. Develop and maintain records and documentation of programs according to both public and private contracts.
- Lead Artists’ Development: Supervise the implementation and documentation of each artist's individualized creative practice and professional development plans. This could also include activities of daily living, including meal and bathroom support.
- Steward the model: Ensure that the community-based program uses AofL’s collective decision-making (CDM) model, prioritizes its values, and positions artists in leadership roles in all programming.
- Collaborate with AofL’s programming team: Develop and implement art-based programs for all AofL artists.
- Prioritize Stakeholders: Communicate with key stakeholders to keep them informed and solicit feedback about AofL’s community programs.
From time to time, you may be assigned other job-related duties within your scope of practice.
- Bachelor’s degree in fine arts or equivalent experience.
- An active (at least 2 years) art practice with a web presence.
- Willingness to receive training and certification to provid personal care support as a Direct Support Person (DSP) through AofL.
- A valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and personal vehicle.
- Ability to lift/carry up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to perform basic physical moves such as kneeling, reaching, crouching, bending, and twisting,
- CPR and First Aid certification or willingness to pursue certification through Arts of Life upon hire
Knowledge, skills, and behaviors:
- An excellent understanding of art materials.
- Knowledge of proper artwork handling is preferred.
- Proven record of building and maintaining relationships and professional partnerships.
- Familiarity with local and national arts and or social service agencies.
- Working knowledge of social media platforms and website maintenance via WordPress.
- Proficiency with Google suite.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multitask and prioritize work
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Superb time-management, organizational, and planning skills
- Proficient in Mac, Adobe, and Canva platforms
- Takes initiative; is dedicated and creative,
- Commitment to the process of creative practice development as an avenue for growth, independence, and community building for people with intellectual/ developmental disabilities.
- Ability to anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of the collective to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance program effectiveness.
- Self Starter who is capable of adapting to changing priorities and deadlines
Compensation & Benefits
- Vision discount program
- FSA (after 12 months of service)
- Generous PTO and sick days
- Parental Leave
- Costco Membership
- Retirement Savings Plan
This is a full-time (40 hours) hybrid studio/on-location position. Generally, a weekday, daytime position with hours approximately from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. However, Arts of Life is an operating art studio, and your hours will fluctuate during events, exhibitions, or other times. Your workload may call for you to work longer days or weekend hours to complete your job duties. You will work together with your supervisor to come up with a schedule that meets your needs and the needs of the studio.
Arts of Life is proud to foster a culture of collaboration and respect. We strive to function under a relatively flat hierarchy, with collective decision-making at the heart of our initiatives. Work is typically done in small teams, and Leadership is enthusiastically accessible to all employees. Work-life balance is highly encouraged, and employees are welcome to use the studio facilities after hours and on weekends.
Arts of Life is firmly committed to building a diverse team that reflects the communities we serve. We value your unique experiences and strongly encourage People of the Global Majority, LGBTQIA+ individuals, women, trans, non-binary people, people with disabilities, system-impacted people, veterans, and people of all ages to apply.
Those interested in should visit https://artsoflife.org/employment-opportunities/ to apply.