Chorus Instructor for Adults
Position Title: Chorus Instructor for Adults
Work Type: Part-time/Contract Employee
Department: School of the Performing Arts
Reports To: Education Community Engagement Coordinator
Metropolis Performing Arts Centre: The School of the Performing Arts (SOPA) at Metropolis
Performing Arts Centre has been educating learners in the arts for over 15 years. Our Community
Engagement branch focuses on bringing performing arts education to learners of all ages and abilities
throughout the area.
Metropolis Performing Arts Centre is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization.
Qualifications: Experience teaching singing ensembles and vocal technique; ability to read sheet music;
basic piano skills to play parts; experience selecting repertoire appropriate for various music skill levels;
experience creating curriculum/syllabi; passion for teaching choir. Experience teaching adult singers is a
plus, but not required.
General Description: Metropolis seeks a knowledgeable, friendly, and enthusiastic instructor to teach
and share the joy of singing with Crescendo Chorus. Crescendo brings adults ages 55+ together to make
music and build friendships through group singing. Instructor will choose repertoire, lead weekly
rehearsals, and prepare the group for a final short performance. There are 10-12 participants in the group
with varying levels of music/singing experience (no experience is required for participation). Crescendo
meets once per week for 60 minutes from October-December. This is a collaborative program with
Metropolis Community Engagement and the Arlington Heights Senior Center.
The instructor will be contracted for this session, and employment will end once the session is over.
Employment opportunities for future sessions are possible. This is a stipend position.
Roles & Responsibilities:
● Select and prepare repertoire appropriate to singers’ skill level
● Teach and lead weekly rehearsals and conduct the final performance
● Apply knowledge of music, vocal technique, and group singing in teaching repertoire
● Create a curriculum and syllabus in alignment with program goals and objectives
● Meet/communicate with related personnel and students as needed
● Foster a positive, convivial, and safe learning environment for students
To apply, send the following to email@example.com:
● Email introduction (no cover letter required)
● Resume featuring teaching work, specifically in choral music education/directing vocal ensembles
● 1-2 work samples such as a video of leading a vocal ensemble, digital portfolio, etc.
● 2-3 professional reference contacts
Metropolis Performing Arts Centre is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace, and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.