The Old Town School of Folk Music seeks a part-time Catalog Associate to aid in executing a library automation and catalog conversion project in the School's Resource Center.
The Catalog Associate will assist with data management, shelf reading, applying barcodes to different media, logging barcodes into catalog software, flagging catalog abnormalities, and shifting media on the shelf as needed.
Key Duties (may include, but are not limited to):
- Data management within FileMaker, Old Town School's local database, and Verso Express, Old Town School's new online interface.
- Assisting with section-by-section shelf reading so that the shelf location of all media is accurate and consistent with FileMaker and Verso Express.
- Applying barcodes to sections of media that have been verified as correctly shelved and logging new barcodes in Verso Express.
- Flagging any abnormalities in the shelf labels, FileMaker records or Verso Express records and calling them to the attending of the Resource Center Manager.
- Shifting media as needed and as much as possible maintaining pockets of unused space within each section.
Additional duties related to the library automation aspect of the project may include, but are not limited to:
- Helping to test and develop work routines in Verso Express (check out, list creation, screen set up)
- Helping to test and develop methods for entering new media (shelf code creation, data importing)
- Helping to assemble and compare record sets in FileMaker and Verso Express
- BS in Library Science or a related field or equivalent work experience
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to learn and use database and library software (FileMaker and Verso Express)
- Working knowledge of Google Docs, Google Sheets and MARC records
- Strong Interest in cultural/arts organizations, vernacular music, African American Music, roots music or world music
- Experience in data management or catalog management
- Attention to detail and organizational skills
- Experience in customer service
- Experience with office administration and/or arts programming preferred
Please note that this is a grant funded position for approximately twelve months.
If interested and qualified, please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Old Town School is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees. Old Town School strives to be an inclusive and equitable organization that is reflective of the diversity of the city of Chicago. We seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. This is critical to our success as a community focused organization.