Capoeira Teaching Artist (PT)
The Old Town School of Folk Music is seeking a part-time Capoeira Teaching Artist for its School Partnerships Program.
Schedule: Variable, based on school needs and residency schedules.
Summary: The Capoeira instructor will train with Maestre Marisa Cordeiro at artist-in-residence schools. Once the capoeira instructor has enough experience and hours in the classroom, they move up to instructing/teaching on their own.
● Learn classroom management and teaching in a Chicago Public Schools (CPS) environment with a large group of students (approximately 25-30)
● Help to implement a sequenced and developmentally appropriate curriculum to meet the goals and desired outcomes of the program in coordination with the School Partnerships Manager and teaching artist
● Build relationships with students and classroom teachers. Partner with classroom teacher on curriculum, program activities, etc.
● Maintain a collaborative relationship with CPS school, curriculum coordinators, and OTS teaching artist
● Prepare students for end-of-session performance
● Bachelor’s Degree in related area or equivalent work experience
● Successful candidates must be motivated, collaborative, responsive and committed to youth
● Background in teaching Capoeira including but not limited to conga playing, singing, and movement required
● Must have at least one year of experience teaching Capoeira
● Able to easily work history and social context into instrument instruction
● Working knowledge of Spanish/English desired
● Experience with administrative/organizational tasks including scheduling, tracking activities and reporting is helpful
● Proficient in Google suite.
If interested and qualified, please visit oldtownschool.org/aboutus/employment for instructions regarding submitting a resume.
About Old Town School of Folk Music
Chicago's Old Town School of Folk Music (“OTSFM”) is the largest community school of the arts in the U.S. and a non-profit organization committed to celebrating American music and global cultures. Founded in 1957, Old Town School provides a wide range of music, dance, and arts courses to people of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds. Whatever one's interest, Old Town School provides broad access to more than 700 weekly class offerings, a broad array of private lessons, and over 400 concerts and community events per year.
Old Town School of Folk Music opened its Lincoln Square facility in 1998 and expanded in 2012. The Old Town School operates two campuses located in Chicago's Lincoln Square and Lincoln Park neighborhoods that include world-class concert halls, classrooms, an award-winning music store, and a music resource center. Online classes were introduced in 2020 and students from nearly every state and a dozen countries participated over the course of the pandemic. Children's classes are also held at several suburban satellite locations. More information is available at oldtownschool.org
Equal Employment Opportunity
Old Town School is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees. Old Town School strives to be an inclusive and equitable organization that is reflective of the diversity of the city of Chicago. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. This is critical to our success as a community-focused organization.