Steppenwolf Theatre Company is seeking candidates for the full-time position of Cafe Manager to provide support, leadership and excellent hospitality service for our new campus which includes two new full-service bars and our existing bar and café concept, Front Bar.
A café and bar concept connected to our Box Office lobby at 1700 N Halsted Street, Front Bar is a warm neighborhood hub serving coffee and espresso by Dark Matter Coffee and light café dining options available day and night. The bar program focuses on seasonal cocktails, beer, and wine, with an emphasis on local and craft products.
Our new campus features a brand-new beer centric bar with a draft system located by the new Ensemble Theatre and our new wine centric balcony bar
Through a relaxed, attentive, and sincere level of customer service, members of the Steppenwolf Food and Beverage staff are committed to cultivating a safe and inviting experience for our guests, artists, and community in our public spaces. As part of this team, the Café Manager will support the daily operations of the restaurant and bar programs by supervising and educating staff with an emphasis on friendly, efficient service; creating staff schedules; managing purchases and inventory; ensuring adherence to food safety procedures; engaging our patrons as courteous, professional representatives of our company; assisting patrons with disabilities (which includes developing a proficiency in accessibility etiquette); coordinating with the box office and other departments to streamline service; monitoring and maintaining public spaces for safety, cleanliness, and presentation; and serving as a knowledgeable source of information about the theater and the city.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Commit to an equitable work environment, including but not limited to use of gender inclusive language and support for individual gender expression, cultural sensitivity, racial equity and inter-generational collaboration and accessibility for audience members with disabilities
- Commit to presenting a relaxed appearance and tone when interacting with guests and colleagues, which includes maintaining an unhurried pace and level modulation of voice and volume
- Manage cafe inventory/ordering
- Manage cafe scheduling
- Training employees (Barista/Food)
- Menu creation/drink creation
- Manage cash handling/nightly deposit checks
- Creating a positive environment for guests
Successful candidates will:
- Communicate clearly and professionally
- Possess excellent time-management skills
- Have experience with ordering and maintaining inventory, scheduling employees and daily operations.
- Be able to consistently work 40-50 hours per week, focusing on (but not limited to) late nights and week ends
- Enjoy proactively and positively and interacting with a variety of personalities in a busy, fast-paced environment
- Demonstrate the consistent ability to effectively problem-solve in improvised situations
- Have knowledge of or interest in Steppenwolf and the performing arts
- Have at least two years of management experience in a high-volume restaurant or cafe setting
- Experience with POS systems (Toast)
- Must be Food Manager certified
- At least one year barista experience
- At least one year food handling experience
- Be able to lift 40 pounds
Salary range: $45,000 with excellent benefit package for full time employees, including medical, dental, vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, vacation pay, paid sick time, personal days, Ventra transit benefit program, employee assistance program and 401(k) matching retirement program.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three references by 1/21.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS PLEASE
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Steppenwolf complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We strongly encourage applications from people of color and members of underrepresented groups.