Position Type: Part-time
Position Location: Hybrid (mostly remote, 1 day per week in-office required)
Office Address: 1821 W Hubbard St, Suite 302
Hours: 25-30 hours per week
Pay: $25-30/hr based on experience
Reports to: Board of Directors
Come join a dynamic arts organization located in the West Town neighborhood of Chicago!
Spudnik Press is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit located in Chicago, Illinois. Focused on the art & craft of printmaking, Spudnik provides local artists with affordable access to studio facilities, equipment, and professional development opportunities. Open studio hours, residency & fellowship programs, exhibitions, and other initiatives are offered to foster community, encourage collaboration, and serve our diverse network of creatives.
Spudnik is looking for a part time Business Manager to manage the business side of our enterprise. This person would be responsible for much of the day to day business operations for our small nonprofit, working closely with the Board of Directors. The Business Manager will be responsible for cash flow, daily financial resources, accounts payable, accounts receivable, billing, payroll, purchasing, cash management, general ledger, collections, taxes, and conducting an annual audit. In addition, this position may assist the staff in arranging classes and other events.
- Oversight and reconciliation of incoming / outgoing business expenses, including the categorization of expenditures into their appropriate budgetary categories
- Generation of monthly financial reports; preparation of financial reports required for grant applications and grant reports
- Payroll management for W-2 employees and W-9 independent contractors; onboarding of new payees; annual distribution of relevant tax paperwork
- Monitoring and timely payment of bills and other recurring payments
- Management of, and interface with, current external contractors in accounting and bookkeeping
- Assisting the Board of Directors with the annual budgeting process
- Documentation and organization of all financial records
- Analysis of current financial operations; willingness to propose changes that will streamline processes and be more intuitive for staff
Required Experience & Skills
- Associates or bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, or related field (or equivalent experience)
- 2-5 years of accounting or bookkeeping experience; experience working with a nonprofit organization
- Strong understanding of Quickbooks, Microsoft Office, and Google Workspace
- Basic understanding of Little Green Light or similar donation management software
- Basic understanding of Filemaker Pro or similar database management software
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Comfortable working independently; self-starter
- Detail-oriented and highly organized; ability to meet deadlines
- Interest in printmaking and/or the visual arts is a plus
Two weeks paid time off and up to eleven paid holidays per year. Health insurance benefits will be made available to both part-time and full-time employees. Staff also receive waived tuition for Spudnik Press classes, and access to all general materials and equipment.
All applications will be reviewed closely by current staff and board members. Interviews will begin the week of August 1st, continuing on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Candidates will undergo a phone screening as well as a video interview.
Please submit the following materials to email@example.com the subject line “Business Manager Application” –
- Current resume or CV
- Brief cover letter (<500 words) indicating the reason for your interest in the position, and any information not adequately covered by your resume (if applicable)
- Two professional references that can speak to the required skills for this position. Please provide an email and phone number for each reference, as well a description of your relationship.