Box Office Associate
TimeLine Theatre Company, recipient of the 2016 MacArthur Award for Creative and Effective Institutions, is a Chicago not-for-profit theatre company with an annual budget that will exceed $2 million in 2019-20. Through 22 seasons dedicated to presenting stories that explore today’s social and political issues through the lens of the past, the company has garnered more than 50 awards for artistic excellence and business management. Now TimeLine is preparing for our next chapter: establishing a new home by renovating a historic building in Chicago’s Uptown neighborhood.
About the Position
If you are hired as a Box Office Associate at TimeLine Theatre, you will enjoy a part-time (10-20 hours/week), non-exempt, hourly schedule. You will be responsible for providing excellent customer service to our patrons at performances, readings, and over the phone. You must have evening and weekend availability. You will report to the Audience Services Manager.
- Maintain regular box office hours to process phone, mail, internet, and walk-up ticket orders, including single ticket sales, subscription sales, reservations, and exchanges.
- Sell concessions and merchandise during pre-show and intermission.
- Prepare appropriate box office reports, concessions sales reports and deposits at conclusion of each performance, reconciling any open issues and communicating any specific challenges.
- Listen to patron issues and/or concerns and resolve them in a friendly and efficient manner.
- Be knowledgeable about the company, our mission, current productions, current season, and upcoming events and work to advance the strategic marketing goals of the theatre.
- Maintain a working knowledge of our ticketing system, single ticket and subscription pricing structures, and discounts.
- Establish a strong working knowledge of ADA guidelines in support of TimeLine’s Accessibility goals.
- Collaborate with house managers to maintain building and patron safety.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Year-round, part-time hourly position
- $13.00 per hour
- 10-20 hours/week during our performance schedule (September 10—June 28)
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends, in particular Wednesdays – Sundays, including some holidays.
- Prior experience performing high volume customer service-related work.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with cash management.
- Must be computer proficient, especially with a PC, Microsoft Office, and Google Drive.
- Experience with a database or a ticketing system (specifically PatronManager) is a plus.
- You have demonstrated the ability to thrive and multi-task in a fast-paced, high energy environment.
- You enjoy working independently, assume responsibility, and take initiative using good judgment and strong attention to detail.
- You maintain a calm, professional demeanor in all public-facing situations.
- You can effectively identify and communicate issues or problems to your team.
- You are punctual and have a strong track record of showing up.
We would like you to commit to the 2019-2020 Season, which will run from September 10, 2019 through June 28, 2020. Apply for this position if you are interested in obtaining a foundation in arts management at an award-winning theatre while supporting the theatre’s goal of being one of the best customer experiences in Chicago theatre.
We are aiming to train our new Box Office Associate the week of Monday, September 19. After a few weeks of training and shadowing, you’ll be ready to start shifts in October.
It is an essential practice of TimeLine Theatre Company to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals, based upon personal capabilities and qualifications and without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national origin or ancestry, marital status, citizenship, disability, military status, creed, or any other trait or characteristic protected by law. TimeLine Theatre Company is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse staff and an inclusive work environment. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to policies and procedures relating to all terms and conditions of employment at TimeLine Theatre.
- Please email a resume (PDF preferred) and your answers to the short answer questions below. Your email should be to the attention of Kellyn Henthorn, Audience Services Manager, at HR@timelinetheatre.com with the subject line of your email, “Box Office Associate Position.”
- Applications will be accepted through Tuesday, September 10.
- We will reach out to you whether or not you are called in for interviews. Please no phone calls. If you do have questions about your application, please email us at the above address.
Short Answer Questions – REQUIRED
In addition to submitting your resume, please take the time to answer the following questions. You do not have to write a cover letter for this application, so we ask that you put your efforts into answering these questions in complete, thoughtful sentences (no need to write more than 3-4 sentences per question). Thanks!
1. What is your customer service philosophy?
Staff members at TimeLine Theatre Company share the core values of the organization:
- COLLABORATIVE: Valuing teamwork as a creative force
- EXCEPTIONAL: Demanding excellence and innovation in everything we do
- FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE: Managing resources effectively and appropriately
- INCLUSIVE: Embracing diversity in all its forms
- INTIMATE: Creating a close connection between art and audience
- RESPECTFUL: Listening and being open to everyone’s perspective
2. Please choose one value from the list above and tell us how you would practice it as a Box Office Associate at TimeLine Theatre?
3. How can this position and the skills you’ll learn at TimeLine contribute to your personal or professional goals?
4. How did you find out about this position?