WHO WE ARE
SkyART is a permanent fixture in the vibrant cultural landscape of Chicago’s South Side. Founded in 2001 with a mission to provide youth with an accessible, safe place to participate in quality visual arts programs at no cost, SkyART continues to fulfill its mission in South Chicago and surrounding neighborhoods, reaching young people through a rich variety of programs. Driving its mission is a deep understanding of the transformative power of art and its capacity to enhance intellectual, emotional, and social development. SkyART is a foundation from which creativity grows, and individuals flourish. Participants are invited into a world of imaginative possibilities and connections that go beyond the individual to positively impact all the communities where we work and the city as a whole.
WHAT WE DO
Through interdisciplinary, process-based projects, skill-building workshops, and large-scale collaborations, SkyART encourages critical thinking and inspires creative expression for youth ages 7 to 24. Using an artist-in-residence model, Teaching Artists work side by side with students in an atmosphere of mutual esteem and shared curiosity through our dynamic and experimental new methodology.
HOW YOU CONTRIBUTE
SkyART is seeking a skilled and experienced bookkeeper for a temp-to-hire position. The Bookkeeper will be responsible for day-to-day bookkeeping such as entering and reviewing donations, entering invoices and recording earned income, entering and paying bills, accounts receivable, entering credit card charges and recurring payments, other data entry, filing and maintaining paperwork in an organized system, etc. The Bookkeeper will also work with the Operations Team and in partnership with the Operations Manager to successfully manage facilities operations across the two SkyART locations. Other responsibilities will include administration and operational support of programming activities.
Manage Accounting Function
● Manage relationships with payroll business partners and other vendor relationships
● Manage and track department budgets, earned income for existing programs, and proposed new sites.
● Execute monthly and quarterly accounting reports for budget owners and Chief Operations Officer
● Work with the organization’s CPA to manage the financial audit process
● Review bank statements and ensure all deposits and expenditures are documented in Quickbooks
● Manage accounting transactions in QuickBooks, including bank deposits, bills, and ACH transactions
● Cut checks
● Enter/post payroll journal entries
● Provide financial reporting for grants reporting programmatic operations.
● Monitor general accounting practices and help develop internal accounting controls
● Monitor emerging technology to determine ways to automate the accounting process without sacrificing accuracy and accountability
YOUR BACKGROUND INCLUDES:
● BA or BS Degree required; in Accounting, Finance, Business or related field strongly preferred
● Minimum of four years of accounting/bookkeeping experience
● Demonstrated experience in budget management, and financial reporting, preferably in a nonprofit, social service, or foundation/association environment
● Advanced QuickBooks proficiency is a must
● Experience using MS Office with proficiency in MS Excel
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE:
● Strong attention to detail, with efficiency and accuracy
● Excellent communication and writing skills.
● Ability to meet deadlines, multi-task, and be well organized.
● Strong verbal and written skills are also required.
● Advanced knowledge of accounting principles, balance sheets, and financial statements
HOW YOU APPLY
Please submit a cover letter with resume by email to email@example.com with ”Bookkeeper” in the subject line. Do not mail or fax.
SkyART is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. SkyART does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.