Awakenings Art Seeks New Members for Board of Directors
Who we are: Founded in 2010, Awakenings is a Chicago arts nonprofit dedicated to making visible the artistic expression of survivors of sexual violence. We a professional, trauma-informed arts experience to survivors that furthers their healing and artistic development. We operate a gallery space in Ravenswood that hosts a variety of artistic programs for survivors, and anyone affected by or interested in learning about sexual violence, including visual art exhibits, performances, panels, workshops, and more.
Why we need you: Awakenings is the only organization solely dedicated to helping survivors heal through art. The relationships we have forged with our survivor artists and our larger community have proved there is gratitude, and, more importantly, need for this work in Chicago. Although healing is difficult to measure, 100% of our survivor artists say they would work with Awakenings again. We need board members with time, resources, and passion they are willing to share with Awakenings. You will have a direct impact on our goals to help survivors heal from their trauma and to become a beacon for individuals and communities for healing opportunities and resources.
Our Board: Awakenings’ Board of Directors is comprised of mission-oriented, passionate individuals who are committed to sharing their resources and connections with Awakenings and work closely with the Executive Director to advance the mission. As a Board member, you will be responsible for overall policy and oversight of Awakenings. Specific areas of responsibility include:
- Board members monitor and manage Awakenings’ internal policies and finances.
- Board members provide strategic leadership in accordance with organizational goals and vision.
- Board members select, support, and review the Executive Director.
- Each board member is required to contribute a personally significant and meaningful donation to Awakenings each fiscal year.
- Each board member is required to work closely with the Executive Director to identify, cultivate, and secure new funders (donors, sponsors, foundations, etc.) and engage with current or past funders (donors, sponsors, foundations, etc.).
- Each board member is required to plan and execute an annual fundraiser, with the help of the Executive Director and a recruited volunteer committee.
- Each board member is expected to act as an ambassador to Awakenings by attending Awakenings events, networking and advocating for Awakenings at external events, and sharing digital marketing materials (social media posts, newsletters, etc.) to widen Awakenings’ reach.
- Through ambassadorship, board members are expected to identify and recruit new board members who would bring appropriate and needed skills, resources, experience, and networks.
Interested? Email email@example.com!