Chicago’s Old Town School of Folk Music is the largest community school of the arts in the U.S. and a non-profit organization committed to celebrating American music and global cultures. Founded in 1957, the Old Town School of Folk Music provides a wide range of music, dance, and arts courses to people of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds. Whatever one’s interest, the Old Town School provides broad access to more than 700 accredited weekly class offerings, private lessons, and over 400 concerts and community events per year both in-person and online.
The Old Town School is seeking an experienced and reliable part-time Bartender/Barback for its operations in Lincoln Square during evening concerts.
The Bartender/Barback provides an excellent guest experience. They prepare for and serve beer, wine, and cocktails. The Bartender/Barback will keep the bar stocked and maintain a clean work area throughout their shift. Shifts typically include weekday and weekend evenings during concerts.
- Provides a pleasant experience to customers with exemplary customer service.
- Serves drinks, snacks and coffee while maintaining a neat, clean, and sanitary bar area.
- Follows recipes to create beverages where needed.
- Ensures smooth set up and operation of bar services.
- Keeps the bar stocked with beer, wine, liquor, cups, napkins, and all other necessary items before and during service hours.
- Prepares garnishes, refills ice wells, and restocks beverage coolers.
- Advises manager of ordering needs.
- Cleans up spills, removes cups and organizes the counter.
- Completes cleaning according to daily and weekly schedules, including dishwashing and removing garbage as needed.
- Performs transactions using POS system. Completes end of shift paperwork and reports any discrepancies to manager.
- Diplomatically resolves issues where needed.
- Adheres to proper alcohol handling, sanitation, and safety procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
One year of related bartending/barback experience required in a fast-paced environment. Health and food safety certification required. B.A.S.S.E.T. (Beverage Alcohol Sellers and Servers Education Training) certification required. Must be at least 21 years old.
Must be able to communicate effectively in verbal and written form, be self-motivated and able to multitask. Familiarity with Square POS platform is a plus. Comfortable using a computer and navigating the Google suite. Bilingual Spanish ability is helpful. Must be able to work evenings and weekends.
This work requires the following physical activities: reaching, bending, stooping, lifting up to 50 lbs., standing, walking, finger dexterity, grasping, feeling, repetitive motions, talking, hearing and visual acuity. The work is performed primarily indoors in a bar/cafe environment.
If interested and qualified, please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Old Town School is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees. Old Town School strives to be an inclusive and equitable organization that is reflective of the diversity of the city of Chicago. We seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. This is critical to our success as a community focused organization.