Steppenwolf Theatre Company is seeking candidates for the part time position of Bartender at Front Bar, Steppenwolf’s café and bar connected to the main theater at 1700 N Halsted. Open to the general public and theater-goers alike, Front Bar features a full bar program highlighted by craft and local products, and a comfortable, modern-rustic atmosphere. Through a relaxed, attentive, and sincere level of customer service, members of the Front Bar team are committed to cultivating a comfortable and inviting experience for our audience and guests
This is a part time position reports to the Bar Manager and the Food and Beverage Director.
Hours of employment range from noon to 2am daily, with peak times in support of evening and weekend performances.
Areas of Responsibility:
- prepare and serve quality beverages in a friendly and efficient manner
- provide adaptive service that is cognizant of theater operations
- maintain their station for cleanliness and sanitation and ensure the quality of all beverages
- educate themselves and guests about our beverage and food options
- engage our patrons as courteous, professional representatives of our company
- assist patrons with disabilities (which includes developing a proficiency in accessibility etiquette);
- coordinate with the box office and other departments to streamline service
- monitor and maintain public spaces for safety, cleanliness and presentation
- serve as knowledgeable sources of information about the theatre and city
Successful candidates will:
- Commit to an equitable work environment, including but not limited to use of gender inclusive language and support for individual gender expression, cultural sensitivity, racial equity and inter-generational collaboration and accessibility for audience members with disabilities
- Have experience as a bartender and/or server in a high volume bar or restaurant
- Be knowledgeable and interested in spirits, craft beer and wine
- Enjoy proactively and positively interacting with a variety of personalities in a busy, fast-paced environment
- Commit to presenting a relaxed appearance and tone when interacting with guests and colleagues, which includes maintaining an unhurried pace and level modulation of voice and volume
- Demonstrate the consistent ability to effectively problem-solve in improvised situations
- Be able to consistently work 15-25 hours a week, especially evenings and weekends
- Possess excellent time-management skills
- Be able to lift 40 pounds
Salary range: $15/hr plus tips. Part-time employees are eligible for Steppenwolf's dental plan, as well as vision insurance, a pre-tax Ventra card, and a 401(k) retirement program.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three references by following this link by 10/20.