Band Teaching Artist
This role is a part-time, hourly instructional position that averages 5-9 hours per week. Chicago Arts and Music Project’s (CAMP) programming runs throughout the school year and two weeks during the summer.
The Band Teaching Artist will be in charge of conducting large-group band rehearsals for elementary, middle, and early high school-aged students participating in CAMP, located at Beidler Elementary School in Chicago’s East Garfield Park neighborhood. CAMP’s teaching artists are responsible for providing a comprehensive music education program for our students. The ideal candidate will be an excellent teacher, mentor, and role model for our CAMP students. The Band Teaching Artist reports to the Executive Director. They will be part of a team of teaching artists that will motivate all participating students, and all staff members will be accountable for maintaining a standard of excellence for CAMP.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach band sectionals of all levels, from beginning to advanced
- Assist with full orchestra rehearsals and large ensembles as needed
- Focuses on the holistic and musical education of each child
- Engage students through the development of creative lesson plans that develop social and musical growth
- Active participation in faculty development sessions to help create and implement shared ideals and instruction that supports each child holistically
- Assess student progress on an ongoing basis
-Take off no more than two days per semester; provide a substitute teacher when not able to attend program
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Superior interpersonal skills with children and adults
- Enthusiasm for El Sistema and its philosophy of social change through music
- Interest and ability to be a motivational mentor and role model for students, parents, and community
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in music education preferred; degree in relevant music background permissible
- Experience working with groups of young children, youth orchestras, or in the El Sistema music education model
- Experience and desire to work with children from diverse ethnic and economic backgrounds
-Working at Beidler Elementary School in East Garfield Park, Chicago Monday-Thursday from 3:45-6pm
-Working after school 5-9 hours per week with some evenings and weekends required for concerts and special activities
-Interaction with young students, parents, and administrators where the safety of the students is top priority
-CAMP instructors are expected to adhere to COVID protocols as defined by the state and schools in which programming is held.
-Submit to all background checks and fingerprinting upon request
An Equal Opportunity Employer
As an equal opportunity employer, Chicago Arts and Music Project strongly believes that diversity of backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives is essential to our success; we strive to create and sustain an equitable and inclusive environment for all of our employees. Chicago Arts and Music Project does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status under federal, state, or local law. We encourage individuals of all identities and abilities to apply.